cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer Pre installation connection

chrisf1962
On our wavelength

Hi I'm a new customer and my house has never had any cable connection before (previously was with BT with broadband running over old copper phone wires). So engineers will be required for the install which is booked for later this month.

I know some of my neighbours have Virgin media connections and the postcode checker stated that full services were available at my address, however, I've looked in the street and I can't find a service tee outside my house. The pavement was re surfaced over 10 years ago and I can't see why they would tarmac over the tee it it was there. Is this going to cause an issue?

Also I need the brown external connection box to be cabled down the side of the house rather than at the front. Do the engineers get in contact to agree the siting?

Cheers

Chris

38 REPLIES 38

Hi drodgers,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear your install hasn't happened yet and that you have had no information in regards to why it has been delayed, what has been advised when you spoke to our Pre-installations team?

Regards

Paul.

@Paul_DN it’s not a lack of information, it’s a lack of any accurate information and any ability of VM to know what their cabling contractors are doing that’s the problem, all 8 guys who’ve visited so far have been very friendly, the last ones even installed a draw wire back to the cabinet, some would suggest it would have been just as easy to install the actual cable but no another visit is required. I’m away from Wednesday until the internal install date on 28th during which a cable pull will not be possible, your call centre is unable to give any worthwhile information which causes me concern that the install may not be completed, so much so I’ve extended my current contract. VM have made moving to you a very difficult and unpleasant experience, if there were currently any alternatives for high speed Internet I’d take them. 

Hi drodgers,

Thanks for getting back to us. I do understand the frustrations here and that you just want to understand what's happening.

I've sent you over a private message so I can take your details and look into this further for you.

Please look out for my message over a the purple envelope.

Thank you

Beth

chrisf1962,

Any luck getting your installation? Mine has been moved another 3 weeks and after many emails with the Forum team it appears they are unable to help with pre installation problems. It seems there isn’t a way to speak with someone and get guaranteed action. VM are going to have to up their game as more alternatives become available. 

drogers,

Thanks for asking. The simple answer is that the installation due on 21/04/23 never took place as the Pre Pull engineers who came a few days earlier couldn't find an access Tee (which is exactly what I'd phoned up and told VM about two weeks before, but unsurprisingly nothing was passed on). Luckily I was just leaving the house when they turned up so I managed to grab a quick word with them. They said it happens all the time, that they couldn't do anything that day, and that it would take a bit of time to sort out as their company would have to get a license from the local Council to dig up the pavement and install the access Tee. VM emailed me to say that they've now moved the installation date to 23/05/23 and I have a lime green arrow painted on the pavement outside my house to tell the engineers where to install the new access Tee. I was initially worried that I'd still lose my broadband as VM had contacted my original supplier to cancel from the 21/04 but when I called BT they said that they could see it had been moved back a month so I still have an internet connection. I agree with you, VM had better hurry up as the town where I live is currently being cabled up for FTTP by CityFibre which will give me more options once it's done (they haven't done my street yet but judging by the pace that are going it should be within the next few months). I didn't really want to be an early adopter of this service hence my change to VM but if there are any more issues with the install I may have to reassess my options.

Hope everything goes well for you

Cheers

Chris 

Chris.

I’ve had 2 teams digging the pavement, they were far enough away from the road not to need a permit, they then found the VM ducts under the grass 😄. The green marks from the surveyor didn’t identify where to dig based on plans but more it’s this property. When the install date was moved the call centre noted that I would be away from 20th so the pull needed doing before that. So on 22nd I got a call from the pull team saying they couldn’t get access, doesn’t feel particularly well coordinated, so far 11 engineers have visited and the install pushed to 17 May. We have City Fibre swarming at the moment, think broadband reported VM are looking at buying them. 

drogers,

Sounds a real nightmare, I hope it's sorted for you soon

Cheers

Chris 

Hi there @drodgers 

Thank you so much for your post and we are so sorry that you have faced this issue with your installation, though we are glad to hear that this is currently booked for the 17th.

To confirm has all outdoor work been completed? 

Ash_C what a ridiculous post, we are sorry that we’ve moved your install 3 times because we can’t coordinate our contractors. If the Forum team is to offer value rather than meet a posting quota then provide a better service. I’m so ready to give up on VM 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @drodgers,

Thanks for coming back to us about your delayed install. I can see that you were chatting to our colleague via Private Message.
If you have any further questions about your install, please get back in touch via Private Message, we'll do all we can to help rectify this for you.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs