Menu
cheerup
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New contract but lots of bits are missing

Hi,

Just had new quick start kit delivered. Having looked at the entire set up, I have to say I am not happy with the current installation and how things currently stand. 

For starters, the incoming white cable to our property has been tee'd off neighbours splitters where two black cables are going inside their property and one white has been run across ours. For some reason, our property has a brown box installed on the outside wall but its damaged and there are no cables attached to it which I am presuming means that at some point in history there was a direct feed coming into the house. the cable protruding out of the wall is also quite unsightly. 

secondly, there is no virgin box installed inside the property, the white cable just seems to come through the wall with screw on ends.

thirdly, there is no isolator anywhere on this cable run and there is already a join outside the property between the white cable. 

when I look at the self start kit, it says that the supplied isolator white cable should be plugged into wall socket, I clearly cannot do that as there is no box and I am concerned with the safety of our indoor equipment if there is no isolator in the feed. 

for now, after fiddling around and reading this forum, I have managed to screw the white cable into the superhub 3 to get things started and I can get the internet fine. 

But my questions are,

Is Tee'ing of neighbours deterimental to the quality of the service for either of the property?

Missing isolator, am I running a risk of frying up our internal gadgets and this installation is not safety compliant?

thirdly, is this how things are done at virgin and to this quality or should be I expecting a better job?

I obviously signed for self-install because it said there is existing VM services to this property but having looked at this in detail, I am not happy with as-is installation therefore, will I be charged if I were to ask Virgin to make things better by sending out someone to do a proper installation? 

Can someone please guide me through this.

Thanks in advance.

Vic

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New contract but lots of bits are missing

@cheerup wrote:

Hi,

Just had new quick start kit delivered. Having looked at the entire set up, I have to say I am not happy with the current installation and how things currently stand. 

For starters, the incoming white cable to our property has been tee'd off neighbours splitters where two black cables are going inside their property and one white has been run across ours. For some reason, our property has a brown box installed on the outside wall but its damaged and there are no cables attached to it which I am presuming means that at some point in history there was a direct feed coming into the house. the cable protruding out of the wall is also quite unsightly. 

you knew that before you ordered - if you were/are unhappy you should have booked a tech install - your brown box may have been fitted and they then found problems - duct blocked or whatever - spurring off is not normal and should be temp - but VM's idea of temp can be years - you should ring it in and ask for your own cable - but if it was duct damage you are running there could have been weeks or months delay

secondly, there is no virgin box installed inside the property, the white cable just seems to come through the wall with screw on ends.

again you knew that [maybe] before you ordered - some installs are like that

thirdly, there is no isolator anywhere on this cable run and there is already a join outside the property between the white cable. 

you need one of these then connect the isolator cable

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

when I look at the self start kit, it says that the supplied isolator white cable should be plugged into wall socket, I clearly cannot do that as there is no box and I am concerned with the safety of our indoor equipment if there is no isolator in the feed. 

see above

for now, after fiddling around and reading this forum, I have managed to screw the white cable into the superhub 3 to get things started and I can get the internet fine. 

then all is [sort of] good

But my questions are,

Is Tee'ing of neighbours deterimental to the quality of the service for either of the property?

see above

Missing isolator, am I running a risk of frying up our internal gadgets and this installation is not safety compliant?

thirdly, is this how things are done at virgin and to this quality or should be I expecting a better job?

it is what it is on a self install - unlike many it works but you should have booked a tech install if you wanted things done

I obviously signed for self-install because it said there is existing VM services to this property but having looked at this in detail, I am not happy with as-is installation therefore, will I be charged if I were to ask Virgin to make things better by sending out someone to do a proper installation? 

you might be - if you ring in keep it simple - its not working or its iffy - not sure they will send a tech at the moment if it seen to be working

Can someone please guide me through this.

Thanks in advance.

Vic

Tony
0 Kudos
cheerup
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Tony,

You seem to be implying that I knew a lot of this already but went ahead with self install. I wonder what gives? 

I probably will use the 14 day cooling off now rather than go through the whole call and wait forever scenario. At least the BT box seems to be shiny new here. 

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You seem to be worried that teeing off your neighbours feed may give you a worse service, whilst this is uncommon, note that exactly the same thing happens at the cabinet - 1 cable is typically split into 8 (or more) and then fed to the houses. Only the larger cabinets actually have fibre to them. 

There is probably a reason why you didn't have your own cable to start with, and if you request it, you may eventually get your own cable, but the connection could be better or worse than the connection you currently have. 

They will likely charge you an manned installation fee if you request an engineer to change your cabling or move the incoming box now (normally £35), but if you delay it may turn into a non-fault fee (£99, as your services appear to be working). Of course there will be no charge for providing your property with it's own cable, but that's unlikely to be a priority issue if your services are working. 

0 Kudos
stabilo00
Up to speed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As things are at present if I were in your shoes and I had a connection that was working to my satisfaction I woudnt want anyone messing with it lol
0 Kudos