Menu
Kaksii
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New connection

Hi Guys  

Just received my installation pack for broadband. I have a brown colour box installed externally but I cannot locate an internal one where which connects to my hub via the white cable. 

What am I to do?

0 Kudos
Brava210
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New connection

Can you not follow the cable from the brown box to see where it enters the house?

Virgin 350 Hub 3, 3 x V6, TP-Link Deco AX20 x1, M5 x2 - United Artists/Telewest/VM Since 1990
0 Kudos
Kaksii
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.  I followed it inside but it doesn't lead to an internal box as such.  Its simply a wire coming inside from the brown box with an ethernet plug at the end.  My first thought was that it would be the ethernet wire that would plug into my hub but then quickly realised that the white wire is a must but no port to connect this.  Would I need to have the ethernet plug piece removed and shaped with a connector for the white cable? And would that be a job for a tech? 

0 Kudos
Kaksii
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Removed and swapped*

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I dont believe VM route ethernet cables from the outside box to the inside. Are you sure that the cable that goes through the wall into the house and ends with a RJ45 ethernet connector is actually going into the brown box on the outside and isnt just running around the house to somewhere else?

Some photos whould be helpful.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Kaksii
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply John.

I've done some homework.

So the Ethernet wire appears to be coming from a different company setup (possibly a pre existing sky connection as that is all I can see). There are 2 wires which go from the brown box. One is the main cable which leads to the exchange i believe and the the other comes into my house and has been capped off and stuffed back into the wall. 

I'm guessing I'd need a tech out to install a new wire from the brown box and also setup a new internal wall connection as the previous one looks to have been ripped out unfortunately.

Thanks 

Cameron 

0 Kudos
Brava210
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I would say yes, they would need to come out and rectify that
Virgin 350 Hub 3, 3 x V6, TP-Link Deco AX20 x1, M5 x2 - United Artists/Telewest/VM Since 1990
0 Kudos