Menu
Reply
racheldurrant
  • 6
  • 0
  • 0
Just browsing
202 Views
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

New connection and no internet

I received my kit on Saturday (23/01/2021) and since receiving it have had no internet.

The kit initialised and is indeed connected to the Virgin Media network BUT we have no internet from any device and when doing simple ping tests even from the Hub it cannot ping anything other than the internet gateway IP, which is showing as 80.0.218.1 on the info page from the hub.

I cannot ping the DNS server or any other IP on the internet which usually work (8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1).

I have spoken to support, which is like pulling teeth when you know what you are doing, but after doing a reset and a hard reset, the support person tells me nothing is wrong, they will send updates and call me back in 2 hours - which they did to tell me nothing was wrong...

So basically, yes I am connected to the network, but clearly have some duff routing on VM's end.  I am loathed to wait another 3+ days for the DHCP lease to expire with the hope it gives me a fresh IP and magically fixes the routing.

What is the solution for this, because I am close to cancelling this whole thing and finding another supplier

0 Kudos
Reply
carl_pearce
  • 4.73K
  • 402
  • 706
Superstar
197 Views
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: New connection and no internet


@racheldurrant wrote:

I received my kit on Saturday (23/01/2021) and since receiving it have had no internet.

The kit initialised and is indeed connected to the Virgin Media network BUT we have no internet from any device and when doing simple ping tests even from the Hub it cannot ping anything other than the internet gateway IP, which is showing as 80.0.218.1 on the info page from the hub.

I cannot ping the DNS server or any other IP on the internet which usually work (8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1).

I have spoken to support, which is like pulling teeth when you know what you are doing, but after doing a reset and a hard reset, the support person tells me nothing is wrong, they will send updates and call me back in 2 hours - which they did to tell me nothing was wrong...

So basically, yes I am connected to the network, but clearly have some duff routing on VM's end.  I am loathed to wait another 3+ days for the DHCP lease to expire with the hope it gives me a fresh IP and magically fixes the routing.

What is the solution for this, because I am close to cancelling this whole thing and finding another supplier


Log into the HUB on http://192.168.0.1, using the details on the base, and check the 'Your Hub 3.0 status' section.

0 Kudos
Reply
racheldurrant
  • 6
  • 0
  • 0
Just browsing
187 Views
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: New connection and no internet

Thank you for your reply.

Its showing my Wifi and Internet are online.  I also enclose some details from the info page if that helps.

As I mentioned, I can ping the default gateway IP listed below from any device connected to the network - but cannot ping anything else i.e. the DNS server, so something must be wrong with the routing on VM's end

Hub 3.0 device informationThe information below shows current status of this Hub 3.0.

Standard specification compliant : DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version : 11
Software version : 9.1.1912.304
   
   
System up time : 0 days 23h:16m:30s
Network access : Allowed
WAN IP settings
Your current Hub 3.0 internet settings are displayed below
 
IPv4 address
Default gateway : [removed]
IPv4 lease time : 4 days 3h:40m:54s
IPv4 lease expire : 30/01/2021 15:38:05.00
IPv4 DNS servers : [removed]

 

 [MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Reply
carl_pearce
  • 4.73K
  • 402
  • 706
Superstar
177 Views
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: New connection and no internet

You should remove your public IP.

carl_pearce
  • 4.73K
  • 402
  • 706
Superstar
164 Views
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New connection and no internet

Could your try something if you get chance?

Put the HUB into modem mode, using the setting available on the left hand side of the main page (The main LED on the HUB turns magenta/pink/red ish).

Plug in one wired device, laptop, PC, etc. and see if you get internet access on that one device? (Modem mode allows one wired device to have internet access, whether it's a router, pc, laptop, etc.).

Your Public IP changes when you go into modem mode, however it will return to previous when back in router mode.

You can access the HUB on http://192.168.100.1 or do a full pin hole 60 second reset, to put it back into router mode.

0 Kudos
Reply
racheldurrant
  • 6
  • 0
  • 0
Just browsing
148 Views
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: New connection and no internet

I will give this a go now and come back to you.

0 Kudos
Reply
racheldurrant
  • 6
  • 0
  • 0
Just browsing
133 Views
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: New connection and no internet

OK, so this actually works and I have it attached to a wireless router which I could live with for now.

I guess if I leave it like this until the old lease expires (4+ days) and then switch it back to router mode with any luck it should all work correctly.

I will mark your answer as helpful, because you have been!

0 Kudos
Reply
carl_pearce
  • 4.73K
  • 402
  • 706
Superstar
128 Views
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: New connection and no internet


@racheldurrant wrote:

OK, so this actually works and I have it attached to a wireless router which I could live with for now.

I guess if I leave it like this until the old lease expires (4+ days) and then switch it back to router mode with any luck it should all work correctly.

I will mark your answer as helpful, because you have been!


When the lease expires you'll be provisioned the same Public IP address, similar to local networks (Most of the time!), so I'm unsure if your issue will be resolved when the lease expires! It's VERY rare for your Public IP address to change, other than moving between router and modem mode.

To be honest using your own router is a good idea anyway, depending on the age of it, as the HUBs aren't the best.

0 Kudos
Reply
racheldurrant
  • 6
  • 0
  • 0
Just browsing
117 Views
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: New connection and no internet

Its an ancient router, but I am happy to buy a new one if thats the only thing I need.

Thanks again for your help and advice!

0 Kudos
Reply
carl_pearce
  • 4.73K
  • 402
  • 706
Superstar
112 Views
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: New connection and no internet


@racheldurrant wrote:

Its an ancient router, but I am happy to buy a new one if thats the only thing I need.

Thanks again for your help and advice!


You can change back to router mode once the lease ends, however I'm not sure if anything will change.

As you have already found pretty much any router/mesh system (ADSL routers may work if they can be configured accordingly) can be used with the HUB once it's in modem mode.

This one has been used/recommended by several forum users:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/deco-m4/ 

What speed are you signed up to?

0 Kudos
Reply