Menu
ankehuber
Joining in
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

New build (no cable) replaced old demolished building (did have cable). Options?

Hello.

I am a current Virgin Media cable customer (702478906) and I have just purchased a new-build ground-floor flat (block of about 6 flats) and will be moving there soon.

This new building replaces another block of flats that was demolished. The old block had Virgin cable (as does the rest of the road). In fact it stills shows up on the Virgin Postcode Checker as the old block.

For some reason the new build block didn't have Virgin installed when being built.

Is is easy to get this installed into my new ground-floor flat? Would I need to book an engineer to come and connect me as the old building was? Presumably there is some remnant of cabling?

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
ankehuber
Joining in
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: New build (no cable) replaced old demolished building (did have cable). Options?

Just to add that I'd be happy to PM/DM the postcode, developer builder, etc. if helpful.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: New build (no cable) replaced old demolished building (did have cable). Options?

Hi ankehuber,

Thanks for posting. 

I do need to advise to not send a PM unless specifically instructed to do so. 

Regarding the new build, have you spoken to the property developer?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
ankehuber
Joining in
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hello John,

Noted on the PMs thank you. I've sent an email over to the estate agent and developer today hopefully I can update this thread later with reply. Although it does make me wonder why they didn't install it whilst building, save drilling new holes.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

No worries at all Smiley Happy

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@ankehuber wrote:

Although it does make me wonder why they didn't install it whilst building, save drilling new holes.

the simple answer to that is that the developers would had had extra cost to do it, as they need to pay for the work.

0 Kudos
ankehuber
Joining in
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Presumably easier/cheaper then to wait until completion and get Virgin to pay for it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@ankehuber wrote:

Presumably easier/cheaper then to wait until completion and get Virgin to pay for it.

On a Private building? No.

They will install on public owned land via the local authority up to a certain budget. In a block of flats that budget will easily be exceeded due to the amount of work required, therefore the landlord or developer would still have to foot part of the bill.

Most existing wiring in flats is not to Virgin spec & will need dualling or replacing. TV disribution systems will be at the top of the building, so a second set of equipment will be required at the bottom etc.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
ankehuber
Joining in
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

So if I move in and want to take Virgin with me what do I do if developer has finished building and is doing no more work?

Would Virgin still run me a cable to my ground-floor flat?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Then if there is cable there, please call the team on 0800 183 1234 and they'll either be able to advise yes/no, or send a spotter out Smiley Happy 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos