Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New broadband installation

Hi,

I have an engineer visit booked for this Saturday, 31st October. 
I have signed up for Virgin Broadband M200 already. The question I have is what type of cable is used from the box on the outside of the house to the hub inside the house? Reason being is that the hub inside my house is in a room in the centre and I would prefer to run the cable up the house in through the soffit and through the loft and then down into my office, rather than have a cable pinned round the exterior of the house.

is it possible to just buy the same cable and run it myself? Making it easier for the engineer to connect also?

or can Virgin provide me with a roll of cable long enough for me to do it myself so it’s all ready? Would be helpful if possible!

thanks 

Conor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New broadband installation

You can't use your own cables. 

Engineers are not height trained and typically don't bring ladders and the ones that do are only authorised to go one one level up. 

But you could put the hub elsewhere and run ethernet cables yourself to a more suitable location. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Not really helpful at this point in time. The re-wire of the house is done and all ethernet cables are set. 

Will an engineer provide cable for it to be run by my electrician before installation of the hub?

The idea is to run from the box on the front of the house, up to the loft, through the loft and down into the office, which can be done by the electrician very quickly and easily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VM will not provide cables for users to do their own installation, but what you can do is get your electrician to install trunking with a pull cord in it an VM should then use it.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@ConorB wrote:

Not really helpful at this point in time. The re-wire of the house is done and all ethernet cables are set. 

Will an engineer provide cable for it to be run by my electrician before installation of the hub?

The simple answer is no. 

The complex answer is maybe. It depends on the engineer. Some may allow you a length of cable if you can install it quickly whilst they are there, but are far less likely to just give you some. Far higher chance if you allow them to install it themselves using provided pull cords. 

However, think of the future. Are you planning on being with Virgin until you sell the house? It's very unlikely that any other ISP are going to be using coax cable. Some may even use fibre. Don't restrict yourself to one provider. Use a common cable, such as ethernet. 

0 Kudos