Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New TV customer: Router and TV in different rooms

Hello, after ordering TV service as a new customer on the weekend, I finally received my Virgin V6 box today (I already have Virgin landline and Broadband)

However, my living room TV where the new Virgin V6 box will be installed (living room) is in a completely different room (the front room) to the WIFI router and the wires appear to be short. Please help me to sort this asap as I was under the assumption both can be connected by WIFI only? Do I need an engineer?

A side question: Why am I not being connected to anyone at Virgin? I have been trying since 11am this morning and it’s absolutely tiring and I have had no luck so far.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New TV customer: Router and TV in different rooms

Do you have a coaxial outlet in the room the TV is in?

The V6 takes its live channels direct from the coax cable, so if you don’t have one you will need an engineer install. WiFi or a wired connection to the hub can be used for the app based services on the box.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi - thanks for taking time out to reply. Unfortunately, no - the only coaxial outlet is in the front room where the TV router is kept. Looks like I will need an engineer then and there is no other way?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes. As stated you need a manned install. If you call up to get this arranged it should be a free callout as it’s for a new box install. Don’t be tempted to DIY anything, as messing with Virgin’s coax cable can cause all sorts of local network problems.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How can you be a "new customer" if you already have phone and broadband?

Anyway, regardless of where the TV is located a manned installation is needed as the coaxial cable must be split to connect the V6. In your case a wall will have to be drilled through for the cable run.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

How can you be a "new customer" if you already have phone and broadband?

Anyway, regardless of where the TV is located a manned installation is needed as the coaxial cable must be split to connect the V6. In your case a wall will have to be drilled through for the cable run.

I think the OP means they are a new customer for TV, which does not have to be a manned install as long as you want the TV located within 3 metres of the hub. A splitter & two made up coax cables are usually delivered with the V6.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You get the splitter with Quickstart but I don't think you get it just for the V6 (I didn't), hence my belief that a manned installation is needed.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

You get the splitter with Quickstart but I don't think you get it just for the V6 (I didn't), hence my belief that a manned installation is needed.

TV self-install add-ons have been around for a while now, although CS agents should be making it clear that the V6 must be sited next to the hub for this to be suitable.

0 Kudos