Menu
vangogh
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New TV and the Tivo V6

Hi

Just purchased new LG Smart TV. Connected up to Tivo V6 OK. Now need to connect TV to router.

Only have one ethernet cable from router, I need to connect TV to the internet as well as the Tivo, do I need an ethernet cable splitter? Or something else?

Tony

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New TV and the Tivo V6

No, just connect the Ethernet port from the TV to a different port on the router, using a second Ethernet cable which may have been supplied with your TV or you could purchase.

You also have the choice of using WiFi for your TV’s connection and would do this through your TV’s menu system.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Wise owl
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi if it's a smart TV then connect with WiFi it's perfectly ok, or you can buy another Ethernet cable and use that.Regards Micky
vangogh
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

Thanks for the replies .Problem 1. No spare capacity on router. Problem 2. Study where router is situated is at least 25mts from TV. Will try Wi-Fi but don't get a good signal in the lounge.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Wise owl
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi in that case you can buy a power booster which may help or upgrade your broadband power.Regards Micky 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@vangogh reading your original message, you seem to be saying that you already have one ethernet cable running between the router and where the TV/V6 box is, is that right?

If so then all you need is a cheap five port gigabit ethernet switch, plug the cable from the router in to one of the ports on it and then two shortish ethernet cables from two other ports on the switch to the TV and V6. It'll be more reliable that wifi anyway.

John

0 Kudos
vangogh
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

This sounds like a good simple result. Thanks for your input, will try this straight away. Well, as soon a I get the parts.

Tony

0 Kudos