Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

New Installation, a little confused.

Little backstory:

Around about February last year, I had a postcard put through my door claiming that Virgin could now be installed in my area, I was super excited because since I moved from my old property to my new one, we haven't been able to get the service so we have been stuck with Sky/BT and on 80/20 which isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but being on Virgin, it was definitely a downgrade, we were on 3Mb/s for many years and then finally got upgraded to 80/20 and we have lived here for going on 11 years now. After putting in my order, I was met with issue after issue and apparently Virgin could not be installed at my property due to issues with the construction, line or something else, I cancelled Virgin and remained on Sky. 

Present day:

I got a phone call from a lovely guy who I have been keeping in contact with and he has kept my information just in case anything changed and such, he gave me a ring on Thursday, he informed me that everything has now been sorted in relation to the issues and I can now have Virgin at my property, the prior issues had now been fixed and we placed an order right then and there. I've got an account now (I didn't even get this far last time), I can see a lot more information and I can also see the "My orders and appointments" section on my Virgin account.

When I checked it previously, it had a date of 01/05/2020 for some kind of a check, not entirely sure what the check was in reference to, but I'm assuming it's just an external check to ensure that everything is all ready and able for the engineers who would be coming out on the 14/05/2020, so I let that go and just thought it's common practice, which I assume it was.

That appointment has now gone off my appointments section and has been replaced with the following one below:

https://imgur.com/a/uzOuO3a

Which has left me a little skeptical because of how the first order went over a year ago which eventually resulted in my property not being to get Virgin, I just don't know if something similar is happening again. Is this common practice?

Thanks,

Daniel

I don't work for Virgin Media, all my opinions are my own.
10 years in IT. Web Developer.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New Installation, a little confused.

Hello

The first appointment will so that the external engineers can run the cable from the street cab to the front of the property and then the install will be completed on the second one by the internal engineer.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Installation, a little confused.

Sadly this is representative.  VM's internal communication is near non-existent between the sales team, installations, field operations and customer support, and the whole installation process has been fragmented with multiple teams involved. 

All you can really do is wait and hope, making sure that you don't cancel your current ISP until you have a fully working VM connection that has delivered the promised speeds reliably for a week or so.  I know that'll mean (with a month's notice to your existing ISP) that you have a circa five week contract overlap, but that is the only safe way of ensuring that VM don't keep pushing the installation back, leaving you with no connection at all.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Service Request - delayed

So I have an installation that is due for the 14th May, which is next Thursday. I was supposed to have a service request at the property today which I believe is just running cable from the CAB to my property, but nothing happened and no-one turned up, it has now been rescheduled for tomorrow.

Right outside my house, there has been a green mark/tick/cross for quite sometimes, so I'm assuming that's also part of Virgin, but that has been there for quite a long while but with my installation next Thursday and that date looming in, I've been reading horror story after horror story where these service requests just get pushed back over and over and over again because of issues.

The odd thing is that my area is literally brand new to Virgin, the lines have only just been installed and I didn't really expect to have to deal with this to be honest, I'd rather not stay with my current provider longer than I have to and with COVID19, it's actually quite hard to get in contact w/ Virgin, apart from the Rep that i've been in contact with.

I don't really know what to do here, I don't want to be waiting weeks and weeks and weeks just to get Virgin installed. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Service Request - delayed

Hi, if there is green spray outside this normally indicates a blockage. This will need to be cleared. As your install is a little while away this usually gets sorted in advance of your install. That’s why we come a week early to do the street/garden side of the install. If you send me your acc number I can see if there are any notes regarding this. 
cheers Richard

Here to help! I'm a manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: New installation delay

Hi Maps82, hope you're doing well.
It seems that there are a lot of delays and set backs going around currently. I've been trying to get an engineer to commit to completing the external work since Friday with no success so far.

Message Campo7 below, he is very informative and will definitely get you the help you need, he is very good at what he does!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation Date Nightmare

This is simply disgusting. 

2 months and the issue is still not fixed, what's going on at Virgin media that simple issues can not be fixed? If the issue cannot be resolved we should be informed so that we can make an educated decision if we want to carry hanging on under the veil of false promises. 

I would phone them up and see if you can get through, try live chat/email and see where you go from there, hopefully the issue gets resolved for you shortly. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

How long does it take external engineers to complete their jobs?

I've been speaking to a friend of mine and he told me that when the external engineers were installing the cable from the CAB -> Property that it was quite a lengthy job. I thought this was a few hours and that's it?

Just got a lot of people on my back about the installation at the moment as we are scheduled to leave our older provider and I don't really want to be forking out installation charges, 2 months worth of bills and also bills from my older provider, if possible.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: How long does it take external engineers to complete their jobs?

Hi, the cable pull as long as there are no construction issues is straight forward. 

after pulling the cable

They will drill the tee (entry point) outside your garden boundary and bury the cable in ducting up your garden. 

I used to do this work when I first started my career at VM unless you live in a mansion with a huge garden it should be a couple of hours maximum, 

Here to help! I'm a manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Service request - Hoping for a final bit of insight.

I've been posting here rather frequently as I've been getting the mess around a little bit from the cable pulling engineering team. 

Apparently according to family, the engineers were around the other day but I still haven't had any wiring to the external of the property. I have a "service pot" outisde my property and I've confirmed this with 2 Virgin staff that any issues preventing me from getting the service before have been resolved.

(Long story short, I applied last February, problems ensued, they have since been fixed). So I literally have a service pot right outside my house, so hopefully that'll make the job easier, but back on point. A family member told me that engineers had been around the other day and marked the front pathway, outside of our gate where the pot hole resides, I went outside to check it out and all it says in green writing is: "Extension" and this happened two days ago.

I have my actually installation date which is this coming Thursday, the service request has been pushed back again for the 4/5th day in a row now and I'm just getting really anxious that the job wont be done. I even got a text on Monday from Virgin stating "Hi, it's Virgin Media. The big day's coming! We'll be conneting you on Thu 14 May, at <address here> between <time here>. All okay, reply yes or no to confirm."

Anyone have any insight? I have tried messaging a moderator on here but no-one has got back to me as of yet.

0 Kudos