Menu
Blindside
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New Install 100m Long driveway

Hello Everyone

I am moving home in 2 months time and chatted online with VM yesterday to arrange to take my broadband with me. I explained that the new house has a short shared access road and then approx 100m of driveway to the house.

I was assured that a 2 man team would be sent and that they could definitely do the install on the same day. The house has not previously had VM.

I don’t believe this can be that easy and would like to speak to someone at VM so that I can explain the situation/access/share a site plan etc well ahead of time (I have 2 months before we move).

Does anyone know a way of connecting with the right people who might appreciate knowing the relevant info now so that a plan can be created? 

The Main Street has up to 500MB to tap into but they presumably will need to get permission to dig a trench up the shared access road plus a plan to lay cable 80m or so across a field we will own.

I have a feeling that I was being fobbed off when I was assured that this is just a routine install and would like to get this sorted whilst we have time.

thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Install 100m Long driveway

I can't help with the contact details, but I can assure you that your suspicions are correct - you've been fobbed off, and the admin to this job is far more complicated.  Shared private drives are a nightmare for VM because they need consent from all parties, digging up public roads and pavements requires notification and sometimes permissions from the council, and any long runs of cable can be a problem because of the cost.  Even when all is legally agreed, you're probably looking at paying a fair amount for the unique connection costs, and then the actually doing is done by multiple different teams and contractors who don't seem to communicate with each other, and getting reliable, accurate information out of VM is nigh on impossible.  Also, on the shared road, be aware that "making good" of any hard surfaces may be to a very industrial standard that might not be to everybody's liking if this is newly laid and pristine beforehand.

I might be proven very, very wrong, but I'll be amazed if this is sorted, installed and working in two months. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I think virgin will indeed visit you in 2 months and most likely will send a 2 man team. But that's as far as I think it'll go. Then it'll be delayed for months on wayleave agreements and I wouldn't be surprised if you are still waiting months after that unless there's already some kind of duct for existing cables they can use. 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The best team to contact will be The Pre-installation and delivery team are on:- 0800 052 1734, Monday to Friday, 8am - 6pm.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you are in an HFC cable area the maximum run from the cabinet to a property is around 200 metres, slightly more if an HDU (booster) is installed on the line. If you are a lot further from the cabinet than this you may have problems getting enough signal.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

0 Kudos
Blindside
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone. 
Available speed on the Main Street is 500MB.

im thinking I might lay the ducting for them if needs be.

0 Kudos
Blindside
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I’ve just checked and there is a cabinet on the other side of the Main Street to the shared drive. It is approx 150m away from the property. I think the shared access road will be the issue but can be solved?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Blindside  I think the shared access road will be the issue but can be solved?

It can, but slowly.  This involves VM's wayleaves team (probably part of the legal department), so there's a good chance of this bit taking geological time scales.  You and I could well be fossilised bones before VM have got this bit sorted. 

Although I do like the idea of some fossil hunter pulling my skull out of the shale on a Dorset beach: "Look children, I'd found a complete Homos Crapheadius skull".  "Dad, why does he look like he's swearing?"  "Oh, on a skull of this vintage almost certainly he was customer of a long defunct company called Virgin Media - all the customer skulls have this frozen expression of endless suffering."

0 Kudos