cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hub 4 installed

MrFonce
Joining in

Good Morning all.

Yesterday I received a Hub 4, replacing the Hub 3.

The usual hiccups when trying to follow the "Oh so simple" instructions. (Not being a real techy).

When everything was up & running, I decided to turn off for the night, to see if all was ok on re-start.

Right; now the query.......when I turned the Hub etc off at remote socket/s connected to a wall outlet (using a remote control). The Hub 4 remained illuminated ??, after 10 minutes its light was still on.

How can that be, the Hub 3 went off instantly, is there some kind of battery keeping the light on.

Yours, Confused.

5 REPLIES 5

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did your broadband drop, did the LED go off eventually? LEDs can remain on for some time, it’s because a capacitor which is charged up will slowly drain depending on the current needed and of course the size (capacity) of the capacitor. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Client62
Legend

after 10 minutes its light was still on. - suspect the remote switch failed to operate, the Hub 4 was still powered up.

The Hub 4 is at risk of having a very short life if repeatedly power cycled.

MrFonce
Joining in

After a bit of fiddling, it was a poor connection so all ok now.

I used to switch it off periodically and it would most likely show updating lights, I assume the Hub 4 (now having to be on 24/7) update as and when,

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All VM Hubs are subject to being updated as and when VM see fit. They do occasionally push out firmware updates to the Hubs.  In my general observations, it's usually around 1 or 2 am GMT.

As for powering off the Hub, some do and some don't, it's up to you.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MrFonce
Joining in

Good Morning All.

I am very concerned now with regards to the safety of the new phone line set-up.

I have Nord VPN & Malwear software installed on my MacBook Pro. Last night & this morning I was trying to update my TomTom device; something I have done multiple times.

Now my VPN keeps "WARNING" of an "unsafe" local network; looking through the VPN account and what is happening I see something I don't like.  The Dark Web filter / monitor was displaying that 13 "leaks" had been detected.........

I have never had anything like that previously. Before the change over, like everyone else, my router was only connected to the incoming broadband cable with the phone line being separate, connected to the phone line "box".

Given what I am now experiencing, I am worried that the phone line now being integral to the router, could be an open pathway to not only the phone but also every other "device" and by definition there individual contents.

I am sure someone will say "impossible" ......"can't happen" etc etc   but at the moment I am sceptical and very uneasy wrt personal protection.  I smell "big brother & unwanted monitoring"