Menu
Stephenkane85
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New Customer - extending cables

Hi,

I am due to have virgin fibre installed in a few weeks and I was wondering if I was to run cables internally would the guy installing it connect to these instead of running his own?

basically I don’t want any cables seen internally so I can pre run cables to both tv’s and also were I was my modem to sit back to we’re the box will be fitted coming from the outside cable. ( I’m I correct in thinking I can just use webro HD100 cable and that would be the modem aswell as to the v6 boxes? 

also there due to install 2 v6 boxes aswell as telephone and broadband. Does the 2 v6 boxes get seperate feeds from the wall box or is this 1 cable from the wall box and then split using a splitter at some stage?

many thanks 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Customer - extending cables

Hello

Do you already have the external box on the outside of your premises ?

Only engineers can fit cable as modifying or using your own cable can cause noise ingress into the system not just affecting you but everybody in your street as well as making you liable for the repair. As well as being against the T&C's.

The best way if you want the engineer to run cable your way is too put in place draw strings to allow the engineer to pull the cable through.

The two TV boxes will be feed from the internal connection by a spliter. Telephone on all new install comes in via the hub now as all telephone companies are doing away with the old twisted pair cabling.

The engineer will fit wall boxes onto the wall where you will be placing the TV, Broadband Hub, you will need to make sure you ask the engineer to either place the first extension from the hub (it will be close to the hub) to a standard telephone socket or give you the phone convertor cable, all other internal extensions are your responsibility.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
RR-IT-GUY
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi I cant comment on the wiring but newer houses do have wires pre fitted your best option is to go to virgin media building development where information on how to wire the house is listed.
I also would like to insist that if you do this it must all go to the main entrance as otherwise VM will charge a relocation charge.
the telephone is VOIP so uses the router's VOIP port or ports if you have two lines
All VM services use the same Coaxial entrance but do have Coaxial Signal boosters (or so does my installation)
0 Kudos
Stephenkane85
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No there is no external box yet, basically our area has only recently got the fibre cable installed and there is a wee black box at the bottom of the garden.... going by the serveral emails from virgin there will be someone call out and bring a cable from that black box to an external box before the engineer calls to do the internal work. 

I think your correct and the best way would to be install strings for them to pull there own cables through I wasn’t just sure if they would be up for doing this and Instead just try to run cables along skirtings etc 

cheers for the reply! 

0 Kudos
RR-IT-GUY
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi ok thanks for that
No Problem
0 Kudos