Menu
PFMC84
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New Customer Queries

Hi all. Had Virgin installed yesterday, loving the amazing speed it had brought me, working from home is actually much better now! I have two queries though:-

The green wifi light on the front of the box is flashing constantly. It started doing this randomly a few hours after it was installed. Any idea how to turn it off?

Also, I have seen pictures of a white Hub and was wondering how I go about getting one? Where my Hub is sitting it would actually be preferable to have a white one, as it is surrounded by white/light objects, so as it is dark in colour it sticks out. Any advice on how to source a white Hub would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Customer Queries

Hello

The light that is flashing is it the wireless light, there is bug on some hubs that can cause the light to flash, it has been flagged but as it is intermittent it has been very hard to pin down. You can go into the the web interface and turn off WPS which may work, sometimes a power off / on cycle resolves it. Otherwise you are looking at a piece of black tape too cover it. Have a look here to turn off WPS https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-wps-settings

The White hub 3 were a very limited issue and trying to get a white one now will be very hard if not impossible.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The flashing wifi lights are a known bug of the Hub 3 since forever.  It might one day be fixed, but don't hold your breath.  You can try pressing the WPS button, see if that resets it.  Our usual advice is a bit of black insulating or black duct tape.  Carefully trimmed and applied it'll not show up.  

Regarding the white hubs, those were the pre-mass production units.  They're all now quite old, and there's no routine way of getting your hands on one.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If I remember right, the white hubs were originally UPC badged units that were released for use in the Irish Republic. All the images on Virgin Media Ireland still show a white hub 3, but as VMI are a totally separate company to VMUK they won’t be available here.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/customer-support/support-by-products/broadband/virgin-media-hubs/ 

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

0 Kudos
PFMC84
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've seen a few for sale on various websites, if I can't source one from Virgin direct, would I be able to buy one myself and then Virgin activate it for use on my account?
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@PFMC84 wrote:
I've seen a few for sale on various websites, if I can't source one from Virgin direct, would I be able to buy one myself and then Virgin activate it for use on my account?

Nope. These are basically “stolen” rented property that customers should have returned when their contract terminated. All hubs released from Virgin are pre-activated & linked to your account prior to despatch. Virgin will not reactivate any stolen property no matter where you got it, so don’t waste your money.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Don’t buy one, it’s not the property of the seller and won’t be activated by Virgin Media.

0 Kudos
PFMC84
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's a shame, OK, thanks anyway.

I have turned WPS off on the router and rebooted it, but still getting that flashing green light.
Need to go see if I have some black tape somewhere...!
0 Kudos