Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New Cable runs

I’m planning on running 10m of CT100 cable from virgin wall socket to router and splitter, from there it would be a run of 5m to each TiVo box. 

is this sufficient? Or would I require an engineer to come out and do further things?  

im assuming the 10m run would go into a splitter which supplies the router and each TiVo box? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Cable runs

@MarcHell wrote:

I’m planning on running 10m of CT100 cable from virgin wall socket to router and splitter, from there it would be a run of 5m to each TiVo box. 

is this sufficient? Or would I require an engineer to come out and do further things?  

im assuming the 10m run would go into a splitter which supplies the router and each TiVo box? 

You can't use your own cable between the wall socket and VM equipment.

An engineer visit would be required, £99 none fault call out, as the power levels would probably need adjusting as well as VM specific cable running.

Using your own cable breaks the terms and conditions of your contract with VM, and could also cause problems with your neighbours connections, as well as yours.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I don’t mind getting an engineer out. 

what are these virgin media extension cables for that I’ve seen floating about online? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@MarcHell wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I don’t mind getting an engineer out. 

what are these virgin media extension cables for that I’ve seen floating about online? 

Like this?

Breaking the terms of your contract! I'm sure these companies wouldn't mention that, plus the causing other neighbours problems and power level issues!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Okay, cheers for the info 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@MarcHell wrote:

They are by no means recommendations, they are just trying to sell you something. Virgin re-uses frequency spectrum that is also occupied by services like Freeview, DAB digital radio & 4/5G mobile phone services. Their network cabling has to keep these off-air services out of their network or it will disrupt services, so is specially produced. DIY cabling is a known issue for these signals tracking back to street cabinets & disrupting a whole street, something for which you could be held liable.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks