cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network expansion query

koczadly
Tuning in

Hey, not sure if this is the right place for it but I've seen other have some success getting more info by asking here.

Looking at my local council's website, I can see VM have some roadworks nearby scheduled for this week (ref NK106YOID333708A). As of now, VM's network doesn't come anywhere close to my address (postcode S10 4LD) for miles - are these roadworks related to network expansion in my postcode, or at least the local area?

Currently the only broadband available to us is 12 Mb/s through Openreach lines, and 4G through Three (which is very congested and runs slow in the evenings). After emailing dozens of execs, local planning teams, the local BDUK programme and various alternate providers, all have stated that there are no plans to cover us in the next 5 years or so. It'd be great to know if VM are considering expanding nearby, or if I'm just getting my hopes up for nothing.

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Even if they are which as the nearest is "miles away" is very unlikely - it is certainly going to be on a similar or longer time-frame as OR. Maybe a 5G SIM deal will be better when it becomes available for you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Well we're on the main road around this area, so assuming their rollout scheme is depth first rather than breadth first I'd assume we may be one of the first to receive it when it becomes available, though I'm sure that's still over a year away considering the distance.

Unfortunately all 5G planning applications have been rejected around here, so that wont be coming anytime soon. 4G is at least somewhat decent the morning (45Mb/s) but tapers off to 15Mb/s in the evening, and that's what I'm using at the minute. Funnily enough, it's also much more reliable than Openreach's fixed line broadband for whatever reason.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You may get a response on here from a VM person in a day or two - but I would be very surprised if they gave you any "specific" details on connection plans at your location - just generic info really

It is regarded as "commercially sensitive" information that they wont want any competitors to have.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is it anywhere near a 3 mast?

VM are now installing links to a lot of 3s masts to take the backhaul from 3s 5G upgrade.

City Fibre is 3s preferred provider outside London, but there are plenty of places nationwide where VM is nearby & City Fibre is not.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/05/virgin-media-to-supply-capacity-for-three-uks-new-5g-n... 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

After emailing dozens of execs, local planning teams, the local BDUK programme and various alternate providers, all have stated that there are no plans to cover us in the next 5 years or so

Your postcode is on the Openreach FTTP map as being enabled for FTTP by April 2024, and realistically could be a good few months sooner.  Mine isn't showing as part of Openreach plans at all, more's the pity.  I think my postcode will be the last area in the UK to get Openreach FTTP.

Somewhat close, but not really. It's next to a bunch of council houses/flats, so I assumed it may be for them. That being said, there is an O2 mast further down, and I believe I read that O2 and Virgin Mobile are now joined?

Unfortunately their map and plans only covers the whole general area of the exchange. While the exchange is planned for 2024, I've been informed not every postcode/property will be covered by the rollout, and that its likely my postcode will be one of the remaining 1%.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good evening @koczadly

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post. 

Unfortunately, we don't get provided any further information regarding the expansion plans for specific areas. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M