cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbours VM cable in my front garden

Mmmmmm
Joining in

While similar issues have been raised on the forum before, I couldn’t find any with instructions on what to do to address it apart from waiting for a VM rep to respond to a post, so…

I recently bought a property and discovered that my neighbours VM cable runs through my front garden. Despite asking the neighbours and waiting for a couple of months for them to act on moving the cable as I didn’t even know what service it provided them with at the time, nothing happened.
I since found out that it is a VM cable, therefore, can somebody please get in contact to relocate the cable so that it lies within the neighbours garden and not mine?

It prevents me from making landscaping changes to the front of the property as well as building a wall which I obviously don’t want to put atop of a cable. Unless I can be advised that I am within my right to remove the cable given that there is no waivers that came with the property to allow VM usage of my front garden to service a neighbouring property?

I’d appreciate a speedy response given that I’ve waited so long for the neighbour to resolve this as it’s their service but seems that I need to do it for them. I’d hate for them to receive a compensation from you for a loss of service after behaving the way they do. I trust that we can resolve this amicably and timely together. 

16 REPLIES 16

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Unfortunately Virginmedia won't respond speedily to either your neighbour or yourself. In cases like this they move very slowly and reluctantly. 

If you are certain that there was no permission for the cable in the property deeds then you are going to have to persue it yourself. But be prepared to put in some time and effort. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Mmmmmm
Joining in

I’m absolutely confident that my neighbour didn’t even contact them which is why I now decided to arrange for it myself. 

Neither the solicitors searches nor the property information form found or declared any wiring or cables for neighbouring properties running through mine. No waivers provided or any ground rent charges in place for usage of it. 
The boundary between the two detached properties is clearly established by bricked wall which has been in place for 10+ years and no irregularities to these have been declared at the time of purchase. Straight boundary line on the deeds. Zero reason for the cable to be on my side and zero interest from the neighbour to address. It isn’t even buried properly for a few meters as it lies about 1-2cm below grass if that in a green conduit I simply didn’t spot before and then goes a bit deeper and over the wall to the neighbours box attached to their house. 

What would those steps be if VM won’t respond? Can I give them a deadline and remove the cable myself if missed? 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

vm take a few days to respond to threads so not a lot will happen until next week - what will then happen is up for debate - they will likely ask you a number of irrelevant questions to start with - are you a customer - do you rent etc etc - you may have stated all that in earlier posts but they tend to skim read and pick up the odd word

it will then go to pm for personal details to be given - address etc - from there agents here can do little - they will refer it to the area field manager who may come and look or send a tech out or just ignore the request and hope you get fed up and go away

that and other delays are designed to delay things as much as possible so they have to do nothing

assuming someone decides to do something it would need the cable moving - thats probably outside contractors who are masters at time wasting

or to be positive someone might get their backside in gear and it all get done quickly but its unlikely

you have choices - wire cutter and put the cable in the bin is one - might not make your neighbour happy but thats up to you - do you know if they are actually customers of VM - put their address in the postcode checker that should tell you - if they are not and its just an old cable then that makes your decision easy

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Get your solicitor to send a letter to VM's registered address giving them 14 days to remove the cable from your property. He can advise you then if you are legally safe to remove it. There are no harmful voltages in the cable, but of course it will upset your neighbour. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There you are - two suggestions. The choice is yours 🙂

Let us know what you decide. 

- jpeg1

Mmmmmm
Joining in

The cable in question goes to a VM box on their house and I did check post code and their house number on the VM website and they do currently provide the service there. I had to do it that way as neighbour refused to provide me with any information about what it was. 

I’d be happy to go via a solicitor to VM but can anyone tell me for sure that once the given deadline is missed I can just remove the cable without any prosecution/criminal damage claims? Did anyone here do this before? I don’t want to spend a fortune on solicitors if it will achieve nothing where VM has them on call via some corp and fob me off. It would be amazing if it’s a case of a single letter with a fixed deadline. I could even give them 30 days to appease! I just want to get on with my life in our home and that cable there puts everything on hold in that area

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You're asking for legal advice, which you can only get from your solicitor.

Personally I would be happy to send the letter myself and cut the cable if no reply, but I won't advise you to do so. 

- jpeg1

Mmmmmm
Joining in

I see your point about asking for a legal advice on the forum and I agree with you. However, I’d expect the law/process to be the same for everyone when it comes to things like this and if anyone was able to remove it legally after a deadline from a single letter has passed - that’s enough for me to appoint one and go ahead with it. 

I will not get fed up and stop or be fobbed off. That’s for sure. The cable must go. Though I do want to go about this correctly and without any unnecessary escalations. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mmmmmm wrote:

I’d be happy to go via a solicitor to VM but can anyone tell me for sure that once the given deadline is missed I can just remove the cable without any prosecution/criminal damage claims?

That's a question you can ask the same solicitor who you instruct to send the letter.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks