cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to move broadband connection

EllieK88
Tuning in

Hi there,

I need to move the internet connection in my house from downstairs to the box room upstairs. Ive had 4 appointments with engineers who have either not shown up or left half way into installation. Apparently because I have outside insulation, engineers wont touch it as theyre not insured. Someone needs to drill the outside wall first and then an engineer comes out to install a new cable. Noone ever told me this and Im very frustrated. Im starting work from home next week and needed all this sorted beforehand. Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What you can do as a temporary fix until you sort it (although many of us do this permanently) is to leave the Hub where it is, and just run ethernet cabling (Cat6) from it to upstairs and then connect a device onto that.

You could also connect a wireless access point up in the box room to get full wifi and also ethernet connections

You could also put it into modem mode and the connect it to either a new wireless router or Mesh system

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What you can do as a temporary fix until you sort it (although many of us do this permanently) is to leave the Hub where it is, and just run ethernet cabling (Cat6) from it to upstairs and then connect a device onto that.

You could also connect a wireless access point up in the box room to get full wifi and also ethernet connections

You could also put it into modem mode and the connect it to either a new wireless router or Mesh system

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I dont think il be able to drill a hole for a cable so might try a wireless access point. I need to connect an ethernet cable to it. Do you find it good for working from home and do you recommend anywhere to get one? Thanks so much.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ethernet cable connections are the gold standard - wifi a poor second. It will work very well. Is it just for temporary use or will it be "semi-permanent"? Will you still want the Hub to be used downstairs for wifi/ethernet connectivity too? If so just leave everything as it is on the Hub and run Cat5e or Cat6 cabling up to the box room. 20-50 meter runs are fairly cheap and you can get "flat" cable to tuck behind carpets etc.

Then just plug a laptop/computer into the cable. If you want multiple ethernet connections in the box room (e.g. consoles?)  - just add a £15 unmanaged Network switch with 5-8 additional 1GB ports and plug into them.

However - if you want better wifi too then a good introductory WAP would be the one below. You would set it up as per the manual instructions to be in Access Point Mode or "Bridge mode". It has x4 GB ports on the back too which will give the best connections

But the advantage of this one is that it is also a "Router" so you could also use it as a wireless router with the Hub in modem mode. It will be a far better router (more controls - see the specs) than that in the Hub and its wifi will also be far superior to the Hub's. Just play around and select what works best for you layout

Amazon is a good place to shop for kit because of quick delivery and excellent returns policy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

--------------------
John
--------------------

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @EllieK88

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding moving your Hub upstairs. I'm really sorry to hear that you were not made aware that someone will need to drill a hole outside the wall first due to outside insulation.

Have you managed to run an ethernet cable upstairs instead as a temporary solution to the issue as @jbrennand advised?

Kind regards,

Serena

Hi @serena_c

Yeah its been very frustrating. I bought a wireless access point.

Was alot easier and wish I tried that soonet without the stress of engineers messing me around.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @EllieK88,

I am sorry to see that the engineer visits did not help you.

I am glad the wireless access point helped you with this.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide