cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need shorter cable for hub

Gary-C-1971
Joining in

I recent moved the position of my hub.  In its original position it required an extra long white cable, which was supplied and fitted by Virgin many years ago. Now the hub is nearer the wall box (from out of which comes the dual connector into which plugs the hub cable and 360 cable), this has left me with much surplus length of white Hub cable coiled up behind my TV.  Ideally I need to replace this using a shorter cable of no more than 1m.

Are Virgin able to supply the shorter cable for me to install myself or would this require an engineer visit to fit the shorter cable ?

Alternatively I note there are supposedly compatible cables available on line. Do these work or do I need a cable supplied specifically by Virgin ?

(note it is the cable from hub to wall I am talking about NOT the cable from 360 box to wall !!)

Any help appreciated   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Client62 wrote:

VM internal cable is RG6 coax with F-Plugs - Amazon etc.

poor advice - VM cable is specific to them - there are many sold elsewhere that are said to be ok - they may be they may not be so not a good idea - there are always a few on ebay that are genuine so that is a better choice

or pay VM £25 to sort it

and - yes - if you change the cable and re boot the hub it should connect 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Thanks.

And if I self install this, when I re-book the hub, will it simply start working again as normal once it's powered up, or is there a whole set up / installation procedure to go through with it?

* re-boot the hub - not re-book !!!

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Client62 wrote:

poor advice - VM cable is specific to them - there are many sold elsewhere that are said to be ok - they may be they may not be so not a good idea - there are always a few on ebay that are genuine so that is a better choice

or pay VM £25 to sort it

and - yes - if you change the cable and re boot the hub it should connect 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145002144593 - there you go

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@Client62 wrote:

There are many  varieties ties of cable called RG6, it is a very loose specification. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You can buy RG6 cable that is entirely unsuited to this application due to inadequate screening that will let in noise.

The term, RG-6, is generic and is applied to a wide variety of cable designs, which differ from one another in shielding characteristics, center conductor composition, dielectric type and jacket type.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RG-6

Here are just one reputable manufacturer's types of RG-6.   Unbranded types on the web could be anything.

https://www.belden.com/products/cable/coax-triax-cable/rg6-cable#sort=%40catalogitemwebdisplaypriori...

RG6.png

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

another https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145002146057

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Gary-C-1971, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community. 

We would be happy to assist with the set up of your equipment. 

In order to supply the correct cable and complete the set up, we would need to arrange a visit from one of our technicians. This would be charged at £25. 

If you wish to proceed with booking the appointment please reply to the private message I have sent over to the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Thanks, 

Nat