Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Need help setting up/connecting V6 tv box with big bundle

Hi guys,

Today I received my big bundle from Virgin (Broadband, Phone and TV). I have set up the broadband no problem (even though the lights aren't the status they suggested) and is working no issues.

I was just trying to set up our V6 Tv box, however our TV is in our living room and our Broadband router is in the other room. Does this mean we cannot use the TV in the living room?? I find it ridiculous that you have to plug it in the same place as the router when most people have these two things in separate rooms.

Is there a way around this or am I missing something? Also we received no remote for our TV box either which is pretty sub par if you ask me.

Many thanks for any help or suggestions!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need help setting up/connecting V6 tv box with big bundle

Are both rooms on the samel electrical circuit, if they are then powerline adapters are an option for the broadband connection between the V6 and the superhub. Another option is wifi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the quick reply!

Yes they are both on the same electrical circuit however I thought you have to plug the 'coax in cable' into the V6 box and not just an ethernet cable? Or does it all just go via the internet? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

yes you need the coax cable. if you do not have one where you TV you'll need a engineer install.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

So our router and 'broadband socket' is located in our dining room, not far from the living room but I can't traipse cables to and from the rooms.

In the living room near our tv we have a socket there which says 'NTL' which I thought was to do with Virgin media. Would we able to plug it into that? Otherwise I guess we will just have to get an engineer round as our phone is not working either, just says "no-line" on our handset. It would be because it's a BT wireless handset would it?

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate your response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@the_tobzster wrote:

So our router and 'broadband socket' is located in our dining room, not far from the living room but I can't traipse cables to and from the rooms.

In the living room near our tv we have a socket there which says 'NTL' which I thought was to do with Virgin media. Would we able to plug it into that?

Yes, thats where it should plug in, providing the outlet is still active. If its not you will need engineer assistance.

Otherwise I guess we will just have to get an engineer round as our phone is not working either, just says "no-line" on our handset. It would be because it's a BT wireless handset would it?

I'm assuming you are plugging the phone into the top RJ11 socket on the broadband hub & not an old NTL phone socket on the wall, as these are now obselete. The phone services are now provided by the hub

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate your response.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Okay I will try that out. However the obviously the coax cable provided is split between that and the broadband so I'm assuming I will have to get an additional coax cable to test it out in the NTL socket we currently have?

Yep I plugged it into the top socket on the hub and still no dial tone or anything. Even after checking on the status of the hub in settings it says the phone should be working. Is it because it's a wireless BT phone by any chance?

Thank you for the help you've been great!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

All you need do is plug the hub into the NTL socket, if it doesn't work you need a tech to connect the cable to the splitter.

As for your phone: can you try another handset?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@the_tobzster wrote:
Okay I will try that out. However the obviously the coax cable provided is split between that and the broadband so I'm assuming I will have to get an additional coax cable to test it out in the NTL socket we currently have?

Regarding the coaxial connections both the modem and V6 require these.
There will be one cable coming from the street cabinet to a box on the wall of your property.
From there it will go to a 'splitter' which is a simple device that gives you the two connections you need in the house.

Sometimes the splitter is in the external box; sometimes inside.
There may be other devices on the cable; isolators and maybe attenuators.

Given you did not get a remote with your V6 (I agree, poor show VM), did you get all the other cables you need for the V6?
The coax socket on the V6 is more like a standard aerial socket than the type on the modem - you should have a special adapter cable with the V6 for that.

Regarding other connections to the V6, in addition to the coax it requires an Internet connection - it will not function without this.
In your case I'm guessing you will be using a wireless connection. Unless your WiFi signal is good near the V6 you may have problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi the_tobzster,

regarding the remote.

You can download the TV Control app to navigate the TV for the time being  TV Control app 

Hopefully  a member of Forum Staff will pick this up and organise a remote for you, however if you dial 150 from your Virgin landline and speak to TV faults  they will send you one in the post. 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos