Menu
jst0
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Need engineer visit?

Hi there , hoping someone could help me, I'm moving to a new rental property and have ordered a quick start pack for m200. I've seen the property for the first time today and there is a virgin media box on wall but looks like a phone socket, nothing to screw into. Am I right in assuming I will need to change to an engineer visit?

See attached for box that I have

• 20210526_165527.jpg

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need engineer visit?

Yep thats a phone socket.

Locate the "omnibox" (usually brown) fixed to the external wall and trace where the cable from it comes into your property. The socket is usually pretty close to that on the inside wall.

If its not evident it may have been removed or covered over and you may need a "tech install".

Or is it a "flat" that is fed from an internal box?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jst0
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the info. It is a flat, a second story tenement maisonette. I don't see any brown box, the only cables I see coming in are from aerials. Not sure where I would look for an internal box? There are coax cables coming down from the lift onto bedrooms for tellys, haven't got ladders to get up there yet to see what else is there though

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like the quick start may be an issue. Did the order actually go through? If it did it implies that there has been a connection previously at your location. But I am not sure how "smart" the VM checker is in recognising individual flats that may have the same "address" so it may have gone through on that basis. I think if I were you I would change it to a Tech install. Even then it may not be possible if the cabling isn't already in place.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@jst0 wrote:

Hi, thanks for the info. It is a flat, a second story tenement maisonette. I don't see any brown box, the only cables I see coming in are from aerials. Not sure where I would look for an internal box? There are coax cables coming down from the lift onto bedrooms for tellys, haven't got ladders to get up there yet to see what else is there though

This sounds like a communal infrastructure situation so the building may be internally wired through an equipment cupboard on each floor. This would then have to be a tech install to get the correct connections into the flat.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jst0
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info, how would I arrange a tech install, can i call them to arrange or do I have to wait for the quick install pack to arrive first? 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would try by phone first

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @jst0,

Welcome to our Community Forum, thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you've had some issues with locating your external box for your Quick Start Install.

I was able to locate your account and I can see that you have been in touch with us to arrange a technician appointment, as previously suggested by @jbrennand

Please keep us updated on your visit and let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
jst0
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,  all is well. Engineer came yesterday , seems previous cable entry has been plastered over during council renovation. Engineer was able to remove telephone box and use that hole for the cable instead  so quick and easy fix no more drilling required. Thanks everyone for the help  

0 Kudos
Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi jst0,

I'm glad that your engineer visit went well! You know where we are if you need any more help in the future.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team
0 Kudos