Menu
battyR6
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Need a new wall socket fitted

Hey all. I need to have a new wall socket fitted for my VM Broadband. There is nothing technically wrong with the old one, but I am renovating the room where the cable comes in and want to get a new one to tidy things up. I read on the community boards that VM technically own that termination, and that I should request VM send out an engineer to replace it?

Is this true, or can I just buy a new termination box and replace it myself?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need a new wall socket fitted

You say nothing wrong so why replace it? it will cost you £99 for a new one.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
battyR6
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I just want a new wall socket as the old is yellow and the previous owners of the house fitted the skirting boards around the socket, cutting the skirting boards, which we are now replacing. As I am ripping up floors, painting everything, changing electrical sockets, fitting a new fire place etc etc. I just wanted to make everything new. 

If it is £99 to replace, then I am fine with that. But just want to know from someone at Virgin Media, if I need to get them to do this?

0 Kudos
stabilo00
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You are not altering the cable so just replace it yourself.
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello @stabilo00 

Sorry but that should never be done by the customer themselves, modifying any cable / junction box is against the terms and conditions and if not properly terminated can cause issues not just for the customer but everybody connected to the street cabinet and potentially make the customer liable for repairs / compensation to other customers.

As a side note, currently due to restrictions Virginmedia are only doing faults and new installs until restrictions are lifted, changes to the cabling / junction boxes are not being done.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

stabilo00
Superfast
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

He is not altering anything. He is sticking it in a plastic box. 

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @battyR6

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post on our forums. 

I just wanted to pop along to the thread to reiterate what our VIP @DJ_Shadow1966 advised over the weekend. 

Whilst we are more than happy to come and replace the internal socket cover, this would be a non-fault call out charge of £99. However, due to the pandemic, we are not currently attending any non-essential jobs other than faults or installations. We do not have a date that this will once again start - I am sorry. 

If a customer chooses to make the changes themselves, they may no longer be covered for free fault call outs as per our T&C

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos