Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Need Virgin cable?

I tried to get Virgin broadband (Vivid 150M) two years ago, Virgin check insists I'm on the cable area, BUT the neighbours driveway cuts across my front yard and his pavement is sacred. So that cable junction might be a mile away, not across the yard.

My BT contract came to end so I checked if anyone else offers 50+ Mbit VDSL, which I can, from the usual suspects. I ended up chatting with Virgin media rep, thought, because I like the Virgin media box a lot more than the BT Youview box.

She insisted there's NO NEED TO PULL CABLE for the M100/M200, i.e. it'd use magic fairy waves and/or phone lines. I'm not buying it, I still need the Virgin cable to come to my house, right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need Virgin cable?

Hi Of course.Regards Micky
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

yes you still need a physical cable to come to the front wall of your property.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That's what I thought, the sales droid was just adamant it's a new technology blah blah. Oh well, to Sky we go then..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Why don't you get someone from VM, maybe a spotter, to check it out. I have a hard time believing that your neighbour's driveway cuts off all access to your house, it's quite common for a cable to be run along a fence or a wall. And I doubt whether it's his pavement as pavements are usually owned by the council and are therefore accessible by VM.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

First of all, thank you to our brilliant community members for clarification regarding our network. Yes, you would always need a physical cable connected to your property to receive our services - whether TV, landline or broadband.

I'm really sorry for any incorrect or unclear information provided by our sales team. They should certainly have a clearer understanding of our network and it's disappointing to hear that this may not be the case. I'm certainly going to feed this back to our sales department for any necessary retraining or clarification. Do you, by any chance, remember the name of the agent you spoke to? This would help to narrow down the relevant line manager so we can also provide some targeted feedback.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I had Virgin guys come along, our neighbour threw a hissy fit because they drew chalk marks on HIS driveway, as if they'd suddenly start digging it up without his permission.

And, yes, it's unfortunately exactly as I described, I did check land records. Theoretically you could either

1. String up the cable on a pole across that driveway
  2. Make a detour and dig up the other neigbours yard to get into our house.

We're renting anyways so most likely the situation will be solved by moving at some point..

Re: Sales girl name, no, I didn't make a note of it or save a chat log, throwing someone under a bus wouldn't really help..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

option 1 is never going to happen
option 2 would only happen if the other neighbour gave wayleave permission.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Barleyman,

I certainly wasn't intending for you to throw someone under the bus, but evidently there's been a major misunderstanding regarding the functionality of our network. I just felt it would have been helpful to pass along. Not to worry, I've fed it back to the department as a whole.

As chenks has advised, we would not be able to connect your property via airborne cables, although you could always arrange a pre-install visit to discuss the options for running along the bottom of a wall etc.

Alternatively, you could speak with your other neighbours and discuss the possibility of connecting via their yard instead. This would also require a pre-install visit which you can arrange with our sales team.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos