Menu
MrLeeBee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Naming Connected Devices Not Working on Hub 4

This has been driving me crazy for about an hour now...

I'm trying to name all of the devices connected to my Hub 4 in order to make them more descriptive.

There are 2 "unknown' devices and I turn WIFI off on my phone and see it's the device with a MAC address beginning with 7A.

On the Home page I change one of the unknowns to 'iPhone' and select 'Mobile' as the device type. Upon refreshing the page, the icon changes to the "unknown device' icon.

On the Connected Devices page I see that I renamed the wrong device (unable to see MAC address there) and my phone is the only device called 'unknown'. 

Back on the Home page, I rename the remaining unknown device "My iPhone".

When I refresh, the icon is no longer a mobile device and there's a new "unknown" device. I notice that the previously named "iPhone" device has gone.

Back on the devices page, the device I'd previously named "iPhone" is now called "My iPhone" and my phone is still called unknown.

What's going on here? Every time I rename the last remaining "unknown" device, it renames the previous device instead, leaving my phone as "unknown". It feels like I'm trying to solve a riddle here and it's driving me crazy.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Naming Connected Devices Not Working on Hub 4

Known fault with the firmware. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
MrLeeBee
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response. I was also having a hard time renaming other devices so this wasn't the only issue. Do you know how long that this has been an issue and if there's a workaround to name devices correctly?
0 Kudos
risc19
Well-informed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As long as I can remember it’s been a bug (among others) with the hub4. 

It will likely never be fixed. 

The only work around is buy a decent router and put the hub in modem mode. 

Welcome aboard the buggy train. 

My Broadband Ping - M500 Hub5 Router Mode
0 Kudos
MrLeeBee
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Not sure why I expected anything else at this point! Was only recently dealing with another bug which has been around for around a year with plenty of outcry on the forums...

The only thing holding me back from router mode is the max 940mb limit due to the ethernet throughput. Wouldn't matter but I recently got 1gig and want to make the most of it.

Guess it's just another thing I'm going to have to live with.
0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@MrLeeBee wrote:
Not sure why I expected anything else at this point! Was only recently dealing with another bug which has been around for around a year with plenty of outcry on the forums...

The only thing holding me back from router mode is the max 940mb limit due to the ethernet throughput. Wouldn't matter but I recently got 1gig and want to make the most of it.

Guess it's just another thing I'm going to have to live with.

There are ways around it, however it's not cheap.

I get 1.2Gbps over WiFi 6 (Asus RT-AX86U) using the below kit:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mikrotik-RB4011IGS-RM-MikroTik-RB4011iGS/dp/B07HBW2NTR

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078SLL1G3

Two 1Gbps connections to my HUB 4 in modem mode and a 2.5Gbps connection to the Asus 2.5Gbps LAN port, switched to WAN in the settings.

This thread/post helped me figure out the config required, with a little tweaking due to using the SFP+ port.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/how-to-make-the-most-of-a-1-15gbps-gig1-virgin-med...

Another option is to wait for the HUB 5, being released to the mainstream next year, which has a 2.5Gbps port which you can use in modem mode :).

0 Kudos