Menu
Techgenius
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Mystery password

I was in the official website security lock and everything and I was trying to make a complaint through the online chat and they kept asking for a password one that wasn’t the one to log in and I didn’t know it. They said they couldn’t do anything till they had it to verify I’m the account holder. I then asked where to go to reset it and they said it has to be with them. Then sent me links to security questions first was for my email seemed okay second was for my bank sort code... I didn’t enter it cause I spooked and noticed the links URL was strange. But I still know I was on the official website so I’m so confused was I being scammed or was this legit and just weird practice????

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mystery password

When you initially set up your account they should ask you for a memorable word. This is stored on the system so that CS staff never see it. They can only ask you for, say the second & the fifth letter of the word to confirm you are the account holder. I do not know what the reset procedure is for this.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mystery password

They would have been asking for characters from you customer verification passphrase.  This should have been set up when you opened the account.

It will be printed on your welcome letter.

I believe asking for the bank sort code of the account that the monthly DD comes out of is a valid alternative security question.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos