My router light is red like it's overheating but is cool to the touch
My router for over the last 3-weeks has had a red base light. I have checked online and it saying my router overheating but when I touch it it's cool to touch doesn't feel warm nevermind overheating. my router is on a TV stand nothing near it about 6inchs either side of it and vents are clear, is my router having issues or what's going on
Re: My router light is red like it's overheating but is cool to the touch
On a Hub 3 that means overheating (or a faulty sensor), assuming that you're not running in modem mode where the "magenta" LED looks red to my eyes. You can try a pinhole reset, that occasionally cures it, normally not and you'll need a replacement.
Because the sensor is probably within the CPU package and monitors the temperature of that, it is entirely feasible for the CPU to be overheating without the hub feeling any hotter, because heat input and output for the hub are unchanged. What's possibly happened is the heatsink has come adrift from the CPU so that the processor temperature then increases. It still needs replacing because the CPU will be throttling, affecting reliability, as well as because overheating anything isn't something you want in your house.
Thank you so much for your first post to our Community Forums and welcome to the team! It's so great to have you on the team!
I'm so sorry to see this has happened with your Hub! I have checked your stats and I can see a few issues, this combined with the red light makes me feel it would be best to get an engineer out to you to take a closer look.
I'm going to send you a PM so we can arrange this, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message.