Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My experience as a new customer

Having recently moved into a new house we decided to go with virgin media as they had the fastest speeds currently available in the UK. As a technically competent person I decided to go for the self-installation option. The router was delivered on time and the initial communications I received were timely.

The installation was relatively straight forward, connecting the white cable to the router and then plugging it into the Telewest box on the wall. After a few minutes the router had settled into a status where the WiFi light was green but the bottom light was flashing green.

I connected my device to the router and it took me to a status page that informed me there was a connection issue. I pressed the big red button, waited patiently for it to fix my issue - it didn’t.

I checked the Tech Support pages which stated that this could be the result of a loose cable. Strange. I checked the cable a second time to ensure they were seated correctly - they were. I then decided that I would just give Virgin media a call to help me figure this out.

One does not simply call virgin media for support.

After an initial 20 minutes in a queue, I reached a lady with a strong Indian accent. I was asked for my account number, it took me a minute to find it in my e-mails... i gave it to her and then the line went dead.

That was frustrating.

I googled virgin media tech support, got a different number and called that. I reached a Indian gentleman much faster and was hopeful that Virgin Media could help me. I was asked to provide:

• Name
  • Account number
  • Postcode
  • Was I the account holder?

I was then informed that I would need to speak to their technical team to resolve the issue and found myself back in the queue for 20 minutes.

The hope of being helped was beginning to fade.

After 20 minutes the call was answered by another Indian gentleman. I was asked to provide various pieces of personal information including:

• Name
  • Account number
  • Postcode
  • Was i the account holder
  • 1st, 6th, 9th characters of a password i might have used
  • 1st, 6th, 9th characters of another password i might use
  • How i was paying the bill
  • I was asked to generate a password that would be used when “you speak with us in future”
  • Sort code/bank account number

Finally he asks me what is my issue? I tell him.

“I will need to pass you onto technical support”

What the frack? I thought he was the technical support guy?

“I’m customer service”

As someone who has a reasonable understanding of cyber-security, this was starting to feel very much like i was being passed to different individuals who had no intention of helping me but were each trying to get increasingly more personal information.

At this point, I’m starting to lose my calm.

After a further 20 minutes I reach another Indian guy. I’m asked for my name. I state clearly that I have already given detailed personal information to two previous people  before reaching him.

“Sorry about that, If you are unwilling to give me your name I’m unable to help you”

I asked him to confirm who he worked for and what information he was going to request from me, and was he technical support.

“Sorry about that, If you are unwilling to give me your name I’m unable to help you”

I asked again who he worked for.

“You have called for help with your virgin media”

At last. I ask again why the previous 2 people I’d spoken to hadn’t passed along the information I’d already given.

“Sorry about that sir, they are not me, if you are unwilling to give me your name I’m unable to help you”

He’s starting to get annoyed now and so am I. I asked him again why I have given several pieces of personal information on preceding calls only for each subsequent person to not have any idea who I was.

“I’m sorry sir, even you must have heard of the data protection act. If you are unwilling to give me your name I cannot help you.”

He’s giving me attitude now. I resolve to remain calm. I give him my name. He asks for my account number. I grudgingly give it.

“That is not a valid account number sir, what is your postcode”

What? I’m looking at an e-mail from Virgin Media where it clearly states my account number. I ask him to read it back to me.

“I’ve already deleted it sir, what is your postcode?”

I asked him why he deleted it so fast.

“I’m looking at the system, i typed it in, it didn’t find an account. What is your postcode”

I tell him that I’m going to give him the account number again, and that I want him to read it back to me. I can tell he’s getting annoyed. I give him the number, he reads it back correctly.

“That’s not a valid account number, what is your post code?”

At this point, all hope that I’m going to receive any kind of meaningful support leaves the room. I consider myself to be a calm and reasonable individual who isn’t quick to anger and always tries to keep calm and carry on - but I’m starting to get annoyed now.

I inform him that this is a valid account number and that I’m not giving him anymore personal information.

He continues his mantra.

“Sorry about that sir, If you are unwilling to give me your name I’m unable to help you”

At this point, I’ve had enough and ask how I cancel my account.

“Sorry about that sir, I cannot do that I will need to pass you to the cancellation team. If you are not willing to give me your name I’m unable to help you”

I inform him that I have no intention of continuing to sit on this Virgin Media merry-go-round and will be cancelling in the morning. Anyone company that thinks that kind of customer experience is acceptable does not deserve my custom.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: My experience as a new customer

you have quickly found the way it is with offshore - its as it is - if you stay then the service is good and better help is here

to go back to the start of your posts you give details of how you set it up but make no mention of ringing the activation line - you must do that to lock te hub to your account - if you have done that then give it another go

back to offshore - they are script readers and sometimes not very good ones - if you want to try again try this it used to get you to a UK agent but thats not guaranteed so if you get offshore say you want to cancel your account [even if you dont] only UK retentions can do cancellations - once you get to the UK then just ask what you want

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Tony 🙂

This is the first I’ve heard about an activation step despite receiving 7 e-mails after placing the order. I did read the instructions briefly to know which cables to plug in and where but I admit to not reading them cover-to-cover. I think the bottom-line is that what I experienced yesterday is the ugly truth about VM customer support. I’ve been a VM customer before, and my parents have Virgin Media - so didn’t think twice about giving them a try again.

I’m still in my cooling-off period, so I think I better follow my gut instinct and get out before I get locked in.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Ozmond wrote:

Thanks for the reply Tony 🙂

This is the first I’ve heard about an activation step despite receiving 7 e-mails after placing the order. I did read the instructions briefly to know which cables to plug in and where but I admit to not reading them cover-to-cover. I think the bottom-line is that what I experienced yesterday is the ugly truth about VM customer support. I’ve been a VM customer before, and my parents have Virgin Media - so didn’t think twice about giving them a try again.

I’m still in my cooling-off period, so I think I better follow my gut instinct and get out before I get locked in.

its all down to you obviously - there should have been a number to ring in the box or on mails without that it will not work- worth getting it up and running and give it a few days - nothing lost as as you say you have 14 days

we all have to put offshore CS behind us - if we judged them by that then we would all be leaving but as i say and [i guess] as you know the service is good on the whole - whilst this place is not a direct line to VM its more than useful and most problems can be resolved

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm surprised they didn't offer to send an engineer, it's normally the one thing they are good for, and then when the engineer arrives you can talk to them in plain English and get things sorted quickly. I could never get CS to tell me why my installation was cancelled, but they did book an engineer, and within 5 minutes of the engineer arriving, he phoned someone and told me they couldn't get any more cables in the duct because there was a blockage and that there was already an appointment made to remove the blockage. Why CS couldn't have just told me that I've no idea. I would have thought it would have been in my account. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi an unfortunate experience, maybe in retrospect as a new customer an engineer install would have been best, in spite of your qualifications, as has been stated on here these things must be initiated via a certain number, to add to -tony- good correct advice phone first thing in the morning 8am you should get through quicker and take the route he has surrgested.Regards Micky
0 Kudos