Menu
KillerByte
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My SuperHub3 keeps resetting to factory defaults

I've been on Virgin Fibre for over a year and it's always been fantastic, no issues, great speed Smiley Happy

However, for the last few month or so my SuperHub3 keeps resetting itself to factory defaults.  It started off as once a week and soon progressed to a couple of times a week and now it's started twice a day!  

It's fairly frustrating as we have a house full of smart home tech connected to a customised Wifi SSID and password so each time it resets it knocks out smart lights etc.  

I've found some suggestions from this forum of resetting the router (ironically) but that didn't help.  I've been living with it and just hopping onto the router and setting it up over and over again with the customised SSID / password but a couple of times a day is driving my wife nuts while I'm at work!

I finally succumbed to calling Virgin support today but was told that as there was an unrelated fault in my area (I don't have any service issues) that they couldn't book an engineer visit.  I was surprised that it would even require an engineer visit and was expecting just to have a new router sent out for me to replace myself - as it's just swapping around a few cables and then setting up the router again (I'm an expert at that!).  

Rather than call back after they've fixed the unrelated fault in my area I thought I'd give the forum a shot as I've seen some good actions from the Virgin folks on here.  I suspect the representative I spoke on the phone was just reading from a crib sheet and following the advice from my responses.

Any help would be much appreciated! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: My SuperHub3 keeps resetting to factory defaults

Did you try the pinhole reset for 60 seconds and NOT restarting the Hub after that ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
KillerByte
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I used the Web GUI to reset to factory, which I assume is the same as using the pin hole reset?

If it’s different then I’ll give a shot!

I don’t reboot the router myself, though it appears to reboot when it resets to factory defaults anyway.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Its different. Push in the pin on the back/side/bottom of the Hub with the end of a paperclip until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold for a "timed" 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
KillerByte
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ok, I’ll give it a go, setup the customised SSID & Password again and will wait and see if it mysteriously resets itself back to default. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello KillerByte

Thank you for posting on the forum and welcome to the community. As jbrennand has advised a pin hole reset should resolve the issue. Once you have had chance to do this and monitor it for a while let us know if this resolves the reset issue.

Thanks

Rob 

0 Kudos