Menu
Tanz
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Moving wall connection box - cable?

I have done some building works at my house and as a result need to move my wall connection box from the side of the house to the front. I have booked an engineer to come but they won't be here for a couple of weeks. When I made the booking I told the agent that because of the way the front of the house is the cable will need to run under the floorboards to the internal box and asked whether I could buy my own cable and run it myself, with plenty of extra cable available at either end so that the engineer could then come along and do the connections (this would allow me to get the new flooring down sooner). He said I could do this and told me it was RJ45 cable that is used, but I want to check this is correct before doing it as from what I am reading here it looks as though it's not possible to buy the cable. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving wall connection box - cable?

Hello

You cannot run the cable yourself,  only a VM engineer can do that if you want cabling under the floor I would recommend to run pull ropes to allow the engineer to pull the cable through as the engineers will not pull up flooring of any type to run cables.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

just to add - its not rj45 cable but coax and as said special to VM

Tony
0 Kudos
stabilo00
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

There is no reason why you cant run your own rj45 as thats the ethernet cable. Are you sure you are refering to that or the main coax cable which is against their terms/ conditions to run yourself.
0 Kudos
Tanz
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I think the Virgin agent misunderstood and thought I was talking about internal cabling - RJ45 sounded odd. I'm going to do the cable pull through option. Thanks all

0 Kudos