Menu
mr_pete
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Moving (or splitting) cables

Lo all,

I'm probably going to have some extension work done on the house, which will impact where my VM cable runs.

Currently, the cable from the street runs up (under) the drive (buried in gravel) and to the wall box, where 3 cables exit...1 is for the phone, the other two look identical, but I'm not sure if the wall box is doing any active split of "internet" versus "TV".

The two identical cables have two routes - one goes "upstairs" to my existing office, through the wall and into a Telewest (yes, long term customer here) white box, with a cable exiting a left hand hole, into my cable modem.  The "right hand hole" for the TV is sealed (not used).

The other cable runs around the house (around the side and rear) to enter the lounge where the TV (and TiVo) are - again, a Telewest box, although the cable appears to exit a "middle" hole (no others unblocked).

The cable running to the TV (around the house) is liable to need moving/breaking/replacing - and the existing office is liable to move into the new extension....

So the questions are:

a) Does the "wall box" do any actual splitting? (i.e. is each visually identical cable exiting that box actually dedicated to Internet and TV respectively?)

b) Presumably those cables can be split/extended (relocated) by someone with a decent crimping kit? 

c) Something like this can be shovelled into the new room?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/1STec-Internal-Housing-Splitters-Isolators/dp/B07B4KWYN9

d) If the cable modem (for example) is relocated, presumably leaving the existing cable in place isn't a problem? (if nothing is actually connected to it?)

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving (or splitting) cables

Everything comes down every cable, so you can plugin TV, Cable modem, whatever into any cable. 

If a cable is shortened or made longer, you may need to rebalance it. So if you have a cable at the front and rear of the house, the one at the front may require an attenuator, whilst the one at the back may not. 

Don't think about changing any cabling yourself, it's against the T&Cs. Get an engineer to do it for you. The cost is £99. 

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi this will have to be undertaken by a virgin engineer as moving and extending or shortening cables will involve signal levels between your box or boxes and the street cabinet. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
mr_pete
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have heard some engineers "not wanting to" (not sure if they are not supposed to) run cables "around" buildings - originally they wanted to put a hole in my front wall and run a massive cable internally, which I was against, so they did then run the cable around the house. 

I might speak to any intended builder about putting in some form of channel to allow a route "through", as if the extension goes in, it would make life harder to go "around".

No attenuators in place currently.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes, you can get the builder to install ducting and a pull cord for VM to use, that's not a problem.

Any co-ax cable that will be redundant should either be properly terminated with a cap, or the cable removed back to source, as "open ended" cables can pick up noise ingress to the circuit.

As stated previously, you have to let VM do all the actual co-ax cable work.  They will also have to rebalance the power levels to your equipment after all the work is completed.

0 Kudos