cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home to a no-service area - exit fee

vito22
Tuning in

I am moving home and virgin cannot provide broadband at my new address, so they want me to charge early contract cancellation fees.

I already complained to them, the person I talked with was very rude. I escalated it and a person from the escalation team was supposed to call within 48 hours -  no one did. I tried to call again today again - Virgin are too busy today to pick up calls and asking to call tomorrow. 

I do not agree with the early termination fees in general as I believe it is unfair. However my case is a bit more specific. I was planing to leave Virgin after the first year of my contract as I knew I will be moving out at some point in time. I wanted to find a company with a cheaper deal and no moving home fees or go for a mobile broadband. The retention team lowered down my monthly price and promised that I won't pay any fees, when moving home. I told them that I do not know where I am moving to and when (could be in 2 months or half a year, etc), they said it's not a problem and convince me to stay with them. I did. The person also informed me it will leave a note in their system.

Now when I am moving, they are saying I have to pay charges as my new address in a no-service area, so I can't be their customer.

Not only it's not my fault they can't provide me the service, but their convinced me to stay with stay with them, knowing I will be moving out, and knowing that they do not cover all areas (how am I supposed to know that Virgin in not everywhere? I am not moving to a farm house in a middle of nowhere.

On top of that they are rude, it's hard to contact them, they don't call back and I learned that the retention team didn't leave any note. 

It's just crazy. Their customer service is unhelpful as always. I had a few issues with virgin mobile before after a lot of struggle they have been solved, but this is just too much. 

I am also cancelling my virgin mobile account with them. I don't want have anything to do with this company anymore. 

Any ideas what can I do to recover the fees, they are trying to charge me? In the worst case scenario, I just won't pay them and see them in court.  

21 REPLIES 21

Z92
Trouble shooter

Virgin gave you terms and conditions of service. You had 14 days to check these conditions were suitable for you and you of quite easily walked away at that point. By using the service past the 14 days you accept the terms and conditions. It doesn't matter what someone on the phone says. The terms were in writing and you received a copy of them. If they say you have to pay £240 to leave then that's what you have to do. If you don't they will pass on that debt to a debt collection agency which will add there own fees.

So please read your terms and conditions. It will state quite clearly if you have any exit fees. If it says you have none then you can quote this and leave without penalty.

Anonymous
Not applicable
your contract is for services at the installed address.

"how is he breaking his contract by moving into area outside of virgin media why isn't virgin media available at his new house when you think about it it's not him breaking the contract its virgin media for not having it available at his new premises in the first place"

.... what?

Thats some very.... special logic you have right there, customers are able to check before they move if the services are available in the area they plan to move to, if you choose to move to an area where services cannot be supplied then that is you breaking the contract not them

i think you might want to read up on how contracts work before you end up making a mistake that might actually impact you

ofcom has already found VM in breach for their termination charges and have been fined £7m for this.

I also was stung as had to move, I have paid it and am continually fighting for it.

VM are the only communications provider to charge when they can not supply the new address, bearing in mind they only supply roughly 50% of the country.

most of ofcoms investigation is closed but where they charge for not being able to supply is still ongoing.

I don't agree with it. In my case, for example, all the cables were there and the equipment returned. And NO, wasn't my decision to move, Was something unavoidable, not a choice. I didn't know that I will be moving home, otherwise, I never will take a long contract. Virgin is one of the largest telecoms and should have insurance to cover this type of contingencies. Customers should be respected.

Anonymous
Not applicable
but you agreed to keep the service for the minimum term. It was part of the contract you agreed to.
I 100% agree with it. If people where allowed to break the contract we would all pay for that extra cost

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you had let the original contract continue after the initial period, you could have closed it at any time with just 30 days' notice.  Instead, you started a new contract in order to get a reduced price. You could have read that contract and cancelled it within 14 days if you didn't like the conditions. 

You should know that it's not safe to believe any sales person's word just because it's what you wanted to hear.  You wouldn't buy a house or a car that way and Virgin Media are no different. 

You will have to pay up, and argue later if you still want to.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

carola196
Just joined

I have got the same problem. Disgusting service. Legalised robbery. I will recommend everyone to stay well clear of Virgin Media. So nice when they are offering their brilliant service. Once they have got you they rob you left right and centre.

I am sorry but you are absolutely incorrect on this. This is virgin media who is breaking the contract not the customer. The customer wants to move and keep the virgin media. If they can not provide the service, they have no legal right to charge the cancellation.  

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Unfortunately no.

The contract is for broadband service at a specific address.  It is not transferable.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.