cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home installation delay nightmare distress and confusion

Diegourz
Tuning in

I am writing this message with immense distress and frustration, seeking urgent help from anyone who might be able to assist me in this situation.

I am about to move house and placed an order with Virgin Media on the 1st of July, to take my contract with me to the new place. I explicitly mentioned to the chat operator that having internet access is crucial for me as I work from home.

Initially, I was given reassurance that my internet connection would be set up and ready by the 29th of July, which was a date I had requested well in advance.

I received an email on the 4th of July stating that everything was on track for the installation on the 29th.

On the 12th of July, I received a text message claiming that external work was completed and the installation was still scheduled for the 29th of July. Naturally, I was relieved, believing that I would have my internet in time for work.

However, today, on the 26th of July, I received yet another text message confirming the appointment for the 29th of July, only to receive another message just minutes later, stating that the appointment has been postponed to the 15th of August, a delay of more than two weeks!

In a desperate attempt to resolve this issue, I contacted Virgin Media customer support, only to be told that the delay was due to some team needing to verify everything to avoid future cable problems. While I appreciate the concern for future issues, I am currently facing an immediate problem—I am without the internet and unable to work from home!

I am in a state of distress, fearing the repercussions this delay might have on my employment!!!

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If internet access is "crucial" you've got to do better than just hope all will be well. I always recommend that a good backup is a MiFi router and a data-only SIM on a 1-month plan. I see that you can get as much as 100GB from Smarty for £17 with unlimited for £20.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Unfortunately this is a common problem when an installation is not straightforward, and they won't advise you when placing an order in case you go elsewhere. 

There really isn't any way of speeding this up, and even the new date is only an estimate. 

Can you use mobile data in the interim, or find an alternative supplier? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Diegourz
Tuning in

It's unfortunate that this is a common issue when installations are not straightforward, and it appears that there was a lack of communication.

I was confirmed through another text message that the external work for the installation was completed. I visited my new place and verified it personally. However, I'm disappointed to learn that the inside part of the installation cannot be carried out as originally planned 29/07/2023. The new date for the inside installation has been rescheduled to 15/08/2023.

Adding to the frustration, I discovered that I cannot use my existing email address to manage the new account number. Virgin Media provides a new account number when customers move homes, even if they maintain the same contract. This presents an additional inconvenience in trying to pushback the installation. 

I will have to find alternative internet options for my home at my own expense. (mobile data)

tejeshn
Tuning in

Same boat and same dates for me as well

VM has a great network. But service and customer support is a crap 

Diegourz
Tuning in

Could a member of the team held a hand, please?

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Diegourz wrote:

Could a member of the team held a hand, please?

expect nothing from the team here and you wont be dissapoined - thats not quite true - you will get apologies and maybe some phone numbers that you already know - the team know less than you and are likely to ask what is happening from your side

the original reason of cable security or whatever they pulled out of the air is rubbish - sounds good and gets you off the phone - they make it up as they go one

open a complaint - its likely to be fobbed off or ignored but no matter its the 1st step of holding them to account - keep records - you are due compensation from the 1st install date you have of just under £6 a day - the may come up with all sorts of reasons not to pay that but have non of it - if they wont pay or want to short change you then go to the arbitrator and add a further £100 for the lies etc 

if you decide enough is enough DONT cancel - let them blunder on and install when all the planets are in line or someone gets off their bum and sorts it - then cancel in the first 14 days and sort out the compensation

if you cancel they will stop all work and if you decided that you wanted VM in the future you start the whole process again

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Diegourz, thank you for all the posts on our help forums and this thread although we're sorry to see you're having issues with your new home install.

We'd love to best assist in the best way we can, please allow us to explain a few things that might help having this process a bit more clear.

Our accounts are attached to properties and post codes rather than customer names so we'd require a new account to be opened when you move addresses, however you'll be able to access this new account using your email once we've completed your install 
(our customers can only access their account when the services active).

Regarding the install delays, can you please confirm if the team confirmed there's more external work to complete which pushed your install further down the line?
Have you since contacted our movers team for updates or to raise a complaint about this delay?

Please, share more and we'll advise further from there.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Adri_G wrote:

Hi Diegourz, thank you for all the posts on our help forums and this thread although we're sorry to see you're having issues with your new home install.

We'd love to best assist in the best way we can, please allow us to explain a few things that might help having this process a bit more clear.

Our accounts are attached to properties and post codes rather than customer names so we'd require a new account to be opened when you move addresses, however you'll be able to access this new account using your email once we've completed your install 
(our customers can only access their account when the services active).

Regarding the install delays, can you please confirm if the team confirmed there's more external work to complete which pushed your install further down the line?
Have you since contacted our movers team for updates or to raise a complaint about this delay?

Please, share more and we'll advise further from there.

there you go what did i say the 'team' know nothing and need info that is in the 1st post that they have not bothered to read

to VM from the 1st post

On the 12th of July, I received a text message claiming that external work was completed and the installation was still scheduled for the 29th of July.

so why do you [VM] ask if there is external work to complete - instead of word salad maybe some help would be useful

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, -tony- thanks for posting and for trying to help, although I'm sorry to see this confusion and your dissatisfaction from the questions we asked above.

Please, allow me to explain there may be more pending works to complete potentially so we'd always need to check and confirm this before we can advise or assist further.

Let us know if you have more concerns and we'll do our best to help.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

At the moment, my primary focus is on the 15th of August, as I eagerly await the completion of my installation.

I am also trying to have my contract for my new address aligned with the same monthly cost and end date as my previous one as I have just changed address . 

I am handling this concern with a forum operator right now.

Interestingly, I encountered the exact same issues with the contract terms a year ago when I changed my address but retained Virgin Media's services. Thankfully, at the time, the forum operator promptly resolved it.

Unfortunately, the new contract does not automatically reflect the correct terms, which means customers must address this matter; otherwise, they'll end up with an additional 18 months on the contract and a higher bill.

I genuinely appreciate all the messages and efforts made to assist me. From my end, all I desire is for the issue to be resolved so that I can continue with the service and my contract with Virgin Media.