Menu
Coleen68
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Moving a broad band modem

Hi,

I need to re position my Wi Fi modem to the front of the house can I do this myself or has it got to be an engineer.

The current cable runs outside the house and comes in through the wall at the back 

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving a broad band modem

@Coleen68 wrote:

Hi,

I need to re position my Wi Fi modem to the front of the house can I do this myself or has it got to be an engineer.

The current cable runs outside the house and comes in through the wall at the back 

You cannot alter any cabling from VM. It's a £99 non fault call out fee.

However, you can move the cable to somewhere else as long as you don't make ANY changes to the cable or the end fitting.  So, you could in thoery, if the holes are big enough, pull the cable back outside and relocate elsewhere inside.  You may also end up with a lot of slack cable, but you cannot shorten this in any way. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Coleen68
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info , I`ve thought about doing that but the box on the wall where the cable comes in and the coax connects has what looks like you need a special tool to undo screws 

I guess these are only issued to VM engineers 

Cheers

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Strange one.   I've not heard that before, as we have asked other users to open the boxes to photograph what's inside.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Coleen68
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mmmm , I`ll have another look and if I can into it I`ll probably go with what you suggested 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mine has a standard single No.8 galavanised woodscrew securing it, but if yours has security screws, a cheap set of security screw bits can be had for five quid from the likes of Toolstation. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Another option would be to leave the Hub where it is and spend the £99 on a new wireless router/Mesh system and connect that the the Hub (put into modem mode) by some Cat5e/6 ethernet cable you can run to the new location yourself.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos