cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved house - no internet

jhmckimm
Joining in

Hi all,

I have recently moved back home with my parents and I have transferred my VM broadband from my old address to my parent's house. They previously had VM broadband, but we arranged cancellation of it for the 5th of April, and for my services to be moved to their address on this date also.

The existing broadband was with a Hub3, and I brought my Hub4 over yesterday, plugged it in, and everything was working as expected - full speeds, etc, but only until around midnight last night, where it all stopped working and hasn't come back up since. My Hub4 shows that internet has no connectivity with the message "No DS detected".

I called Virgin this morning thinking that they would just need to perform an activation, but they've said that they're actually sending out a new hub which should be here today. This confuses me - I've had no explanation as to what's actually meant to happen when moving house. I received a package from them yesterday, but this just consisted of a coax cable, an RJ11 cable + adapter, and the little spanner they provide for the coax. For this, I had communication from both Virgin and Yodel, so I knew to expect it, but I've had no other emails - i.e, for this new hub that is apparently on the way.

I work from home and I expressed concern when I arranged all of this (around a month ago) that I needed a smooth transition, but I'm finding out now that it just seems like nobody I've spoken to has any clue what's going on. It was implied that I could simply take my equipment to the new address and it should just work, but here I am sat without any internet unable to do anything.

Can anyone please explain to me how this was supposed to happen? Is new equipment really on the way despite not having any emails/texts about shipment? Why did it work just fine yesterday but suddenly die on us? What can I do to get this sorted ASAP? I would call customer services again but I fear I'm just going to get scripted answers without any actual explanation or understanding of my situation.

Many thanks,

J

3 REPLIES 3

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jhmckimm,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear that there's been some complications when performing a move of services from one address to the other. Have things improved since your post, or do you still need some help?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach_R,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Shortly after my post, I received an automated text message stating that I should reply "GO" when ready to activate my services. Thankfully, this worked, however I am now having more issues with my Virgin Media services. I'll outline these separately below:

Lack of stream box delivery

Upon activating as explained above, I received a text message stating that I'd been assigned a new landline number. As we've had the previous number for 10+ years, I called up and explained that we'd like that back. The agent on the phone was very helpful and submitted a request to have this changed back. As he was so helpful, I asked if he'd explain to me what the parcel the previous agent was referring to, and he told me that it was a stream box and it was due for delivery that very day. However, it did not arrive, so I called up the other day to enquire where it was and was told that as there was a number change request on my account, nothing could be sent to me until it had been processed (which could take up to 14 days).

Is this correct? If not, where is my stream box? I was under the impression that it had already been dispatched before I requested the number change, so it should've made no difference, right?

Recurring dropouts and outage

Tonight I've had several outages lasting < 5 mins each, over a period of about 4-5 hours. Unfortunately, this has only gotten worse and now we have no internet at all. My Hub4 is just flashing red with "No RF signal detected" as the internet status description. I am very tech literate so I've gone through all of the usual troubleshooting steps, etc.

According to DownDetector, there was a spike in problems reported around the same time as these brief outages, but they have since subsided on the website, however I am still experiencing issues.

Here are some logs/stats from the Hub4 diagnostics: (the upstream/downstream/configuration tables are all blank/default values)

Spoiler
Cable Modem StatusItem Status CommentsChannel Overview Downstream Upstream
Cable Modem Status
DOCSIS unknown
Primary downstream channel
NotLocked
DOCSIS 3.0 channels
DOCSIS 3.1 channels
Spoiler
Wed 12/04/2023
01:05:49
3Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Wed 12/04/2023
01:03:43
5Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Wed 12/04/2023
01:03:39
3SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Wed 12/04/2023
00:56:41
6CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 33; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Wed 12/04/2023
00:30:58
5MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Thu 01/01/1970
00:01:22
3No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Tue 11/04/2023
21:39:29
6CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 33; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Tue 11/04/2023
21:15:56
5MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Tue 11/04/2023
18:35:21
3No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

I know that this is likely a temporary issue and that by the time someone responds it'll likely have resolved itself, but it is frustrating nonetheless and if posting now gives me some headway in the event that it's something more problematic, then I'm going to take that chance.

Thanks for reading,

J

Seemingly can't edit my last post, but the outage has been resolved. We'd had some bad weather last night and the RFoG box outside had been blown open. Upon further inspection, the optical connector had come loose. Tidied it up as best I could, rebooted the router, and everything is normal once more.