cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved house and want to self install

lucianf
Tuning in

The property I've just moved to already has Virgin Media and the previous owners left all the cables (splitter + the 2 coax cables to hub and TV).  I've let VM know I moved house and wanted to move my contract, but they said I would not be able to self install since I changed towns.  They can send an engineer but only later next week.

I'd like to avoid spending a week without internet (but still paying for it!) simply because I need the it for work and the mobile signal here is really bad.  Is there anything preventing me from simply plugging in the VM boxes?  Does my account need to be updated with the new area?

I'm quite technical and the installation is a piece of cake anyway, but I'm not sure if something needs to be updated in the VM backend.

17 REPLIES 17

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Seems odd - I have asked VM to comment on why you cant have a quickstart pack - I am assuming it was Offshore CS who told you that ?

Also I assumed you completed the VM house moving form and process?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I don't think I need a quickstart pack (I don't need any new hardware, unless by quickstart pack you meant the option to go with the self-install using the existing boxes which I already have from the previous home).

I was told I needed an engineer when I contacted VM over webchat.  The lady I chatted with had an English first name, but whether it was an offshore CS or a someone in the UK CS - I couldn't tell.  I insisted I wanted to self install but she said an engineer would have to come in because I changed cities.  Which sounded rather odd.. more like a "computer says no" type of thing!

I didn't fill in a moving house form - this was all done over chat.

Hi lucianf

Thanks for posting - sorry for the confusion here. It wouldn't be due to the town you're moving too and also you'd not be paying for the service when not active as the account needs to be active for you to continue paying.

This would be because on our system, QuickStart wouldn't have been an option, likely due to cabling or something similar, which requires a engineer visit. 

Let us know how the visit goes.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ok this is probably why you are having the issues. You cant just plug and play in the new property with your current equipment.

You need to have the account transferred to the new address so that when you connect the new (or old) VM equipment it is "activated" onto the correct account at the right address.

See what they advise when they get here - they may be able to get an earlier Tech visit

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

Thanks for the swift reply. What would be the reason why a quickstart wouldn't work? The cabling is just fine, the previous owners had the same service, should it be not just a matter of plug & play (& activation on your end)?  I'd really want to avoid not having broadband for another week (appointment is booked for 12 July).

Can I at least give it a try and perhaps save your engineer a visit?  I can provide my account details over PM if you can move my account to the new address.  If that doesn't work I still have the appointment booked.

Edit: as per https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/installation:

Is your home set up for QuickStart?

Check your postcode, and we’ll find out for you. If QuickStart is available to you, make sure that your wall socket doesn’t need a technician. If it’s securely fixed to the wall, within 3 metres of the TV box and WiFi Hub, and you can see its silver connectors, then your home should be set up for QuickStart.

All the above are true, and my postcode & house number pass the postcode checker.  Maybe the CS just missed checking if QuickStart was indeed available?  Can someone re-check this please?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I meant you cant just take the equipment with you and plug and play without the account changes taking place first - which you didnt do. What I dont get is why they are saying you need a Tech visit.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My bad, the question was for the other John - @John_GS - in case he could help on the VM end.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM equipment is account locked by address, & when it connects to the system it's location is checked against where it should be being used. So if you plug it in in a different network segment to the address it is registered too, the system will disable the equipment after a short while.

Either your existing equipment has to be activated to the new account address by CS, or it has to be replaced.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Understood, it makes sense.  I'm just wondering if someone that works for VM could kindly activate the equipment on my new address (effectively allow me to try the quickstart option) rather than having to wait for another week for a technician to show up and possibly not have to do anything.

I can offer all the necessary details over PM (old/new account details, SN's etc)