Menu
ok1990
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Moved home, but given new contract?

Hi there,

End of last year I moved into a new house, taking my contract from old place with me. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed on my plan - same speed, same price, same payment date, same name, etc. The website states that contracts are simple altered when moving house, and only if the package/plan changes are you subjected to a new minimum term.

I had a £10 off deal on the old contract which expires this month. I was 8 months into the contract and I don't really want to be locked in paying £45/mo until November, when the website clearly states otherwise. 

I've seen a couple of similar queries but can't seem to find what the resolution was. 

I've tried using the "message us" button at the bottom of the contact page to talk to someone, but this does nothing, it just takes you back to virginmedia.com.

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Kudos
DerrickVMTech
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moved home, but given new contract?

Good Morning OK

Im a VM employee and use to work in the Home moving team.

If you have moved your services like for like then this would be a contract continuation. and the end of your contract would be the same date as it was in your previous property.

Based on what you have said it definatly sounds like this. However there is a possability that at the time of your new account being created that the same deal could have been started again.

If not however you should be ok and your contract would have continued from your old property.

Regards

Derrick

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
ok1990
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Derrick cheers for your reply mate 🙂

Thats the impression I got, that nothing has changed so it should have just continued...

But the contract on my account says it started in November 2019, when I moved. So it has been set up as a new contract, but the 12 month "welcome offer" from the old contract was still in place from the previous April, and has just expired now, on the date my original contract should have expired. But I'm locked in until Nov 2020. 

It stings a bit that now I'm paying £45/mo for just broadband, and keep seeing adverts for VM TV+Broadband bundles for £28?! 

Is there any way to sort this out?

Thanks again pal
Omid

0 Kudos
ok1990
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Finally got this sorted after 3 hours today!

Spoke to someone on web chat who confirmed that yes, the contract should have expired and the new one had been set up in error.

They passed me to the retention team who claimed this was a lie, the contract would run until December and I would be charged £190+ to cancel it. They offered to increase my line speed but not reduce the package, which would have tied me in for another 12 months.

I disputed that and said I'd be requesting a deadlock letter to refer the complaint to CEDR/CISAS. They accepted this was an option, said they'd do their best to help, and then passed me on the relations team who ignored my messages for an hour and then the chat ended. 

So I tried again, started a new web chat, and was passed onto another colleague, who ignored the messages and the chat ended.

Around this time I tried to submit a formal complaint via the website, which results in a 606 error every time - convenient! "We have found an issue
Please give us a call and remain on this page as one of our friendly agents will ask you for your URL reference. This will help us understand what's gone wrong." 

So I rang the number, and obviously no asked for a URL reference. I explained the issue to the agent who finally passed me onto Sophie in the UK who was incredibly helpful, apologised for the errors, reduced my bill by £11 a month and gave me a 2gb sim card to go with it. 

😵

0 Kudos