Menu
alialo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Move router using existing cable

My router is currently located in an upstairs office that has recently been converted into a bedroom for my daughter. Previously it was located in the living room downstairs, and the cabling to the wall box is still in place from the inside to the outside of the house, only with the end cut off where it terminates.

Am I correct in thinking that it should be possible to disconnect the current wall box connection, crimp a connector back onto the end of the old cable and join them back together? Is there anything I'm missing?

I've read that it costs £99 for an engineer to come out, but seems a bit excessive for (what I assume would be a) two minute job. Has anyone had a similar experience and perhaps knows if there is any way to get the fee waived?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Move router using existing cable

Sorry, but you still need a technician to fix it. It’s against the T&C to do any work yourself on the VM infrastructure. Also if the F plug has just been cut off it’s likely that the cable has been disconnected from the omnibox.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
alialo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The F connector has only been cut off the end of the old cabling attached to the side of the house. The cable coming in from the street is still live - it's just joined to one that goes into another room.

My plan (and what I assume an engineer would do) was to put a connector back on the previous cable, disconnect the current 'live' cable and connect it back up to the old one. Although guess that doesn't make any difference if it's against the T&Cs haha...

Are Virgin still not performing non-essential changes? I spoke with them a little while ago and was told they can't send anyone out to move it.
0 Kudos
Laurie_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi alialo,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome back to the Community Forum!

As Tudor has kindly advised, it would be against our Terms and Conditions if you performed this work yourself. I'm afraid that we aren't currently able to book any non-essential technician visits, due to the current COVID-19 restrictions. I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to give a timeframe on when these visits will be able to begin again. However, if you continue to reach out to us, either via the Forums, or over the phone, we will be able to book this in for you when we are able.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team
0 Kudos