Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Move equipment to another room

Broadband: I need a line run to another room. Not a new line, but an extension of the existing line. It would need to be run along the outside wall to the back room of the house. Can I arrange an engineer visit? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Move equipment to another room

What do you mean you need an extension? Explain in detail what you are trying to do and we'll advise. It isn't clear from this..

If it is discretionary work that you need please bear in mind that during the virus emergency VM are restricting home visits to essential work only and will not enter homes without a very good reason.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What are you trying to do? Move the hub to another location?

There is a £ 99 call-out charge for a relocation.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There is a terrible echo about this thread!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi sorry here’s a better explanation. We live in a stone built Victorian house, which has a small extension at the back which is single brick. It would’ve been the original kitchen with a small staircase up to the Maids Room. We use that room as an office. We have the broadband coming into the centre of the house, coming in through the side wall of the house. But the signal doesn’t reach the office and won’t go “through” the 1metre thick stone walls. We’ve tried Powerline extenders but they don’t work well enough. So the engineer had said we might be able to run another line around the outside of the house and into the office. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So much better - thank you. We can now see your intentions and the reasons for them. Sounds like a lovely old house, with all the propensity for a poor WiFi signal.

You can't have an extension as you describe, well not from VM anyway. VM can move the Hub for you to your office but then you will be faced with the issue of supplying an internet connection to your TV (if you have a V6) and for exactly the same reasons as you have now, but in reverse.

Moving the Hub involves VM wiring externally a new cable from the existing entry point outside the house to a new entry point in your office. The charge is £99 but VM are not going to undertake this kind of discretionary work at the moment. When they do what you'll have is what I have got - Hub in one room (upstairs actually) and TV coax connection downstairs. Bit simpler than yours would be - all my wiring is at the front of the house.

If options like Wifi boosters and powerline adaptors aren't suitable then you may want to consider a wired ethernet connection from the site of the Hub to your office. That can be done internally, not by VM and it needs some networking experience to do that which I don't have. However someone amongst this community will be able to explain to you how to do this simply and cheaply. Good luck. 

Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @Godfreyjnk ,

We are not doing any relocations as this current moment in time as it is not classed as essential work. We will be able to make up some cable for you and you can connect it up yourself for the meantime. If not, then it would have to wait once the guidelines and government advice has changed. If you are interested in doing that , feel free to PM me. To PM me, just hover over my profile picture and click Send Message when the option comes up. Please don't post any personal info in this thread as it's public.
If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Godfreyjnk wrote:

Broadband: I need a line run to another room. Not a new line, but an extension of the existing line. It would need to be run along the outside wall to the back room of the house. Can I arrange an engineer visit? 

not sure why you marked the VM techs post as a helpful answer other than his sig suggested you did

whist it is a useful service - that is not normally available for them to make up coax cables it would likely not solve your problem - you cannot have 2 hubs so moving the one you have likely would just create the problem in reverse as  detailed in the extensive answer from @HowardML 

with an ethernet cable from the existing hub - which you can install you then have a number of possible solutions from access points if you need wifi in the new location or just a simple switch if you only need wired connections - the 3rd possibility is the best imo - a 3rd party router with DHCP turned off - with that setup you have ethenet ports and wifi from the VM hub and the same from the 3rd party router

Tony
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

D'oh!  Tony beat me to it !!

Personally you can do this yourself if you don't mind the outside cable.  You need an ethernet cable from the Hub, to the outside and around to the Office and back in again through the wall,  You can even bury the cable in conduit if you need to, or just clip to the wall. 12mm hole is required or 6mm if you can terminate the cable ends yourself.  Once the cable is in the Office, you can add a network switch for more ethernet sockets if you need them, e.g. Printers, Smart TV etc. 

I suspect the VM guys are talking about moving your Hub with the premade cables, not supplying network to your Office, as mooted by Howard.

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes. The very last thing you want to do is move the Hub, or you will have the same problem in reverse with no connection inside the main part of the house. Just fit an ethernet cable from one of the ports on the hub.