Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Missing power unit for self install.

Hi,

I received my Super Hub 3 the other day for self install. During the ordering process I noticed that I have the "Different Kind of Wall Socket" which requires a power supply and requested this as part of the order. I have just returned to Virgin after 18 months with Sky and when we previously had Virgin broadband, had this power supply to the wall box.

I haven't received one despite requesting and surprise surprise my hub won't activate and I have the flashing green light.

I called Virgins support line for activation and spoke to a friendly operator but they didn't seem to know what on earth I was talking about and now have to have an engineer visit which is really frustrating, especially as don't really want anyone visiting the house at the moment with Covid-19 going on.

Can anyone confirm if I am correct that I do need this power supply? Socket I have is this one:

Capture.PNG

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing power unit for self install.

The picture hasn't been approved yet but it sounds like the same issue as https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Wall-socket-Plug/td-p/4300590

For some reason VM want to book engineers for this - surely it's quicker, cheaper and more convenient to just post these customers their power supplies?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi of course all hubs need to be pugged into a 13 amp socket,if this is a replacement hub the lead and plug from the old one will work. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mick,

Its not the power supply to the SuperHub 3, that is plugged in already or there wouldn't be any lights!

Its the power supply that gets connected into the wall plate (type of wall plate with one with a coax socket to connect cable from the router to wall plate) AND a coax cable that exits the wall plate that connects to a special plug with a coax socket on it.

Cheers,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes that sounds like the same issue.

Its really frustrating as I was specifically asked during the ordering process which type of wall plate I had and that if I had the type in my house, did I have a power supply for it. I answered "no" to that question and it said one would be posted to me.

So yeah, not great 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you see any VM vans in the local area then it might be worth asking someone if they can give you a power supply, otherwise you're at the mercy of tech support.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Forgot to update this, it was as suspected just a missing power supply for the FFTP wall box.

Virgin engineer had me up and running within 5 minutes.

Disappointing that I wasn't sent one as I would have been up and running with self install as I had hoped. 

Anyway, sorted now 🙂