Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Missing Virgin Media Socket

Last week, I received the self install router package for the M350 broadband package.

Foolishly, I just realised I cannot find any Virgin Media wall socket inside the property to insert the isolator cable (or any non-Virgin branded one too).

According to the postcode checker, my postcode definitely supports the M350 package, though I don't think a wall socket has ever been installed inside the property (we asked the landlord and they do not recall ever seeing a socket).

Obviously my next step was to contact Virgin Media support to arrange an appointment for an engineer to install a wall socket (if possible).

Understandably, I recognise Virgin customer support is at less capacity and are likely experiencing higher contacts due to the virus, but I cannot contact them via phone at all to arrange an engineer. I've tried the main support line (03454541111), though I am automatically disconnected about 30 minutes into the call whilst waiting for a service rep. I've also tried the direct support line (08000527588) which was provided in my sign-up email - I've been waiting 2+ hours on this line and still no contact.

I can accept that it might not be possible to have the wall socket installed at this time due to the virus, but is there any alternate way to contact Virgin (other than phone) to inform them of the issue? Mainly due to the fact we are still paying for the contract that we can't use.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing Virgin Media Socket

Hi,

Have you tried the webchat?

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

Do you whether the address has had service previously?

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I did not know there was a web chat - I will look for and try that now - Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, there are standard Virgin ethernet sockets in the property.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Your looking for a white box on the wall which has a small threaded metal barrel which you push the white lead supplied and other end onto the same type barrel on the back of your router. Signal cable

Ethernet connections are for connecting devices to your router 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Self install only goes ahead if the property has had vm services previously. 

If you have your account number and the last digit is 2 or above it's how many times the service has been installed at the property. So the cable is at least will be outside but connection removed inside if you can't find them.

If the last digit is 1 it makes it harder as it's a first install and a cable will need to be pulled to property. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

VM do NOT provide Ethernet sockets in a property. Those sockets are probably VM phone sockets.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

VM do NOT provide Ethernet sockets in a property. Those sockets are probably VM phone sockets.

Just a stroll down memory lane. Before wireless hubs. We use to install ethernet sockets. Still see them in houses.

Probably was ntl then.

Customer had to provide their wireless router.

0 Kudos