Menu
Highlighted
aquatimer
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Mis-Sold Virgin media how do i leave

Im 2 months into a 12 month contract here since I was sold this by Employees at Currys.  Ive had a boat load of trouble getting the adverised high speed fibre optic speeds after the intial installation was not set up correctly as  I was lucky to 35 meg download instead of the 200 i was supposed to get.  2 weeks of messing about ringing call centres in India before they eventualy sent out an engineer who spotted the problem straight away and fixed the matter. 

I signed up at Currys for a 12 month contact for 29.99 and initial set up fee who i had no problems with.  Since then ive recieved 2 more aditional bills due to the calls i was making to virgin tech as well my own freinds and family to the tune of 50 pounds most of which were for the none existant help they provided in the first 2 weeks as well a local calls to friends and family etc. 

I believe i was mis-sold this promotion as I was led to believe my phone service would be free as it were with my exisisting provider EE.  Instead im paying top whack for calls that were Free on my landline with EE  The tech Guys in Currys said the phone calls would remain the same as EE ie be Free 7 days a week.   So i now intend to register a complaint with Ofcom as well as raise my concerns with the industrys Ombudsman.  Being about 7 weeks into a contract how do i get out of it and  What is the cooling off period that is if there is one. I have also registered a complaint to Currys. Thanks in advance for your time

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mis-Sold Virgin media how do i leave

what does your contract say?
you can't complain to ofcom as ofcom don't deal with the public and/or individual complaints (their website does state that).

the cooling off period is 14 days i believe.
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you were sold the service by Curry's then you should complain to them. You won't be the first person to have had this problem. They will have received commission from Virgin and they should earn it.

Free landline calls are part of most Virgin deals, but it is possible to have broadband without it. It all depends on what contract Currys sold you. Did you have it in writing, or was this just the word of a sales person? 

Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What on earth were you doing buying ANYTHING from CurryscarphonePCworldwarehousehell?  I though everybody knew that was THE shop to avoid?

Parking that question, you CAN complain to Ofcom - they just don't do anything with those complaints other than count them.  Ofcom are a useless, chocolate teapot regulator, and badly need to be reformed, but obviously with the pathetic state of both government and opposition, that's not happening any time this decade (but illustrating an impressive grasp of what is NOT the key list of public priorities, Ofcom reform remains unplanned, but the government plan to make the micro-chipping of cats mandatory).

In terms of complaining to the Ombudsman, the telecoms arbitration service is provided by CISAS.  You can certainly complain to them, but they won't even consider your complaint unless you've raised a formal complaint under Virgin Media's complaint policy, and you must have given the company the chance to resolve the complaint.  They may be able to come back with an offer that includes call costs, although the £50 figure in two weeks suggest you may have been mis-sold the VM tech "pretend-support" add on.

You could also sue VM (or Currys), but most courts will not cases unless the plaintiff has used any available arbitration service first.

Whatever route forward you choose. I would suggest that you need to separate out the important elements of the complaint.  So for example, although the service had a technical hitch, that was successfully fixed, and I would suggest isn't material to any complaint.  Whether with Virgin Media, CISAS, or anybody else, always remember the person hearing what you say or reading what you write has LITTLE OR NO knowledge of the story, but EQUALLY you need to stick to what matters.

chenks
Community elder
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

you CAN complain to Ofcom

not according to ofcom you can't
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/how-to-report-a-complaint/billing

Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@ chenks

Of course you can complain to Ofcom.  You can complain about Virgin Media to the RNIB, the Cats Protection League, or the Albanian Embassy.  But none of them (including Ofcom) do anything about VM complaints.  However, as I said, "you CAN complain to Ofcom - they just don't do anything with those complaints other than count them".

For example.

happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You can complain to OFCOM but it won't do any good - CISAS is the way to go however you need to take this up with Currys - Virgin Media are just the provider, Currys did the sale and if they did mis sell it by lying to you - and you have it in writing then you can legally undo the contract within the first 90 days under an act known as the Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. Mis selling or aggressively selling is a criminal offence and both the sales person and the company can fail fines and jail. I have used this act over 60 times to get people back their money within hours that they fought and failed to get back in months - Companies literally poo themselves when this law is quoted to them - because they know it's a slippery slope.  I even used it to undo a house sale for someone who got stitched up like a kipper to the tune of £275,000 it's that effective. Mind you I did call the house builder's CEO directly as I don't mess around - they had the money back within the hour. 

So first thing to do is a swift and stern letter to Currys PC World in writing to the correct complaints address and by a form of provable recoded delivery Special Delivery is best in my view and worth it)- If you need help Citizens Advice can advise.

VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-complaint

Read this document https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Consumer%20Complaint%20Code%20of%20Practi...

Calls to 150/151 are free from a virgin landline.

@aquatimer wrote:

I signed up at Currys for a 12 month contact for 29.99 and initial set up fee who i had no problems with.  Since then ive recieved 2 more aditional bills due to the calls i was making to virgin tech as well my own freinds and family to the tune of 50 pounds most of which were for the none existant help they provided in the first 2 weeks as well a local calls to friends and family etc. 

What part of that have you been charged for?  Support calls should be free unless you have called their premium rate line. A £50 phone bill seems a little high, but your phone plan should have been roughly put on t he contract you signed. VM's 15-20p a min call should be criminal.

If you have any documented proof that says you will get inclusive calls then hold on tight to it.  Personally I think all phone providers should be ashamed for their eye gouging phone call cost, but if your contract doesn't say you were going to get inclusive then your probably a little out of luck.  I would still go through the complaints process and hope they either refund the calls in part or in whole, or let you leave the contract now without penalty.

If you ever need to go to CPCW/CPW find what you want before you go, reserve it and when you go in ask for your stuff and go straight to checkout, refuse to sit at a desk if they offer, and go wait at a till.  Sorry, I just can't stand the place.  Never met anyone there who had any real technical ability or moral grounding.  Perhaps there are a few, somewhere, in the whole country.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Or do what i do order online and get DPD to deliver it - I got a phone from them outright no problems and no crap
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You have to pay an additional £8pm for the Talk More Anytime plan which has inclusive calls at all times. Many people including myself have just the Talk Weekends plan and get free calls to UK landlines, Virgin Mobile and 0870 numbers from midnight on Friday to midnight on Sunday.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection