Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Migrating from Residential to Business - Slow Speeds in Interim?

Hi all,

Will keep it short and sweet.

I've had issues of speeds being hit and miss for a while now, wired and wireless (Via AmpliFi HD mesh, which is fantastic by the way). On the 350 package. So with working from home now, yesterday I switched over from residential to the Business 350 package. 

I'm hoping the new Hitron router will allow me to achieve these speeds more consistently, and I'm aware they still need to patch me over to the business line, but currently I'm getting maximum 80mbps on the network, both wired and wireless.

Could this be where I'm being switched over, or is there something else causing it? I don't want the issue to persist once I move over to a business line. 

I've already restarted the router, and WiFi is turned off as I'm using it to connect to my AmpliFi HD router. It's not the AmpliFi that's the problem as in the past I've still had speeds in excess of 380mbps even on WiFi. Sometimes it slows down from about 3pm to below 100mbps and doesn't get back to expected speeds until the next morning.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Migrating from Residential to Business - Slow Speeds in Interim?

I might be wrong, but Virgin told me that Virgin Residential and Virgin Business are the exact same infrastructure and the exact same cables. The only difference is that you get a different router, different package, and a different SLA. 

So the office uses Virgin Business, where as at home I use a combination of Virgin Residential and a BT Infinity line. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It is the same infrastructure and cables, but that's all.
The Hitron uses the standard registration process as the domestic service in order to gain a session and an IP address to the CMTS at your local VM data centre. The registration enables the data centre to hand you off to a VMB server which establishes a GRE tunnel (you can look that up but basically a VPN) through which it can allocate the public IP addresses. There are overheads with all tunnelling services.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've done some asking around and one of my contacts reports that Business 500 runs consistently at c. 430 Mbps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So I’ve completed my move to business - and the same thing is happening. I actually had an engineer scheduled to come this morning, but I cancelled it as I was getting 380 down and 20 up. But from about 2pm onwards I’ve had maximum 100 down and max 5 up. Does virgin throttle in busy periods, even on business?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@MattCPFC wrote:

So I’ve completed my move to business - and the same thing is happening. I actually had an engineer scheduled to come this morning, but I cancelled it as I was getting 380 down and 20 up. But from about 2pm onwards I’ve had maximum 100 down and max 5 up. Does virgin throttle in busy periods, even on business?

They don't throttle at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@MattCPFC wrote:

They don't throttle, it sounds like congestion which would affect everyone in your area. Unfortunately moving from residential to business won't make any difference with that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So is congestion just something we’re expected to put up with when getting 10% of the speeds we pay for?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/products-and-services/speed-code-of-practice/

You could take a look (if you haven't already done so) at VMB's speed commitments.

0 Kudos