cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making the switch from Sky....Supply cable question

Ronnie52
On our wavelength

I am shortly coming to the end of my Sky contract and seriously considering switching to Virgin for better broadband. Having been a Openreach engineer for over 30 yrs before retirement, I am obsessed with having my cable run correctly ( believe me, some of us were). 

My street has just had the VM undergound overlay supply done and people are switching but I am convinced mine and my neighbours property has been missed

How do I get a site survey done prior to placing an order

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Bit hard to say more without knowing the geography of the houses. Sounds like the contractors may have taken a shortcut (or just stopped!) if serving your home with a connection point involved deviating from the general route of the ducts or further digging beyond the main route to serve your one property.

As you have already said, a spotter should be able to identify what your options are. Actually getting hold of one though, getting them to attend and then feedback any info they find out to VM-central may be a whole bunch of work on your part.

One of the VM forum team will reply here within a few days and take your details. After that, you might have a long wait for any further info/action from VM.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Ronnie52 

I've moved your thread to the Quick Start, set up & connections forum.  VM Staff don't tend to look at the chatter forums.

They may eb able to help if you need a spotter.

The first thing to do is to use the /postcode-checker to see if it's available at your address.

If it's showing as not available then you may need VM to send out a spotter. 

That page also has links to 

Need help ordering? For help call us 0800 064 3850

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

goslow
Alessandro Volta

A starting point you can easily check would be have you got the plastic VM cover outside your property on the pavement? As per

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/media/gallerypage/image-id/171532iDCB717EA4366DE01

What makes you think you have been missed out in the process?

Ronnie52
On our wavelength

Thanks for the reply, all the VM plates are installed in the footpath in the street, the majority of which are on the border between semis and odd ones in different places, however the plate nearest to me is on the side of my neighbours house,…… our houses are at 90 degrees to rest of street so his property can be fed direct through his garden, but to get to mine they would need to go through his driveway which is a no no ( we’re not the best of friends by the way ), I would have thought the supply would have been led up the public footpath to end of my garden.

cheers

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Bit hard to say more without knowing the geography of the houses. Sounds like the contractors may have taken a shortcut (or just stopped!) if serving your home with a connection point involved deviating from the general route of the ducts or further digging beyond the main route to serve your one property.

As you have already said, a spotter should be able to identify what your options are. Actually getting hold of one though, getting them to attend and then feedback any info they find out to VM-central may be a whole bunch of work on your part.

One of the VM forum team will reply here within a few days and take your details. After that, you might have a long wait for any further info/action from VM.

Ronnie52
On our wavelength
Thank you for the advice

Hello Ronnie52,

Thanks for your post and welcome to our Forums.

It would be great to have you join.

I am able to have a look and see if we can get someone out to assess the cable route.

Can I send you a private message to get your details please.

If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Ronnie52
On our wavelength
Hi Gareth
Got an update for you on my supply cable issue, just had prepull team out and all completed using BT ducts, no garden or footpath digging, now I am a happy bunny, all ready for instal on 9th March
Cannot thank you enough for your help
Thanks mate
Ronnie

Hi Ronnie, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one and letting us know how things went. 

We're happy to hear Gareth was able to assist you and that the install is on track now. 

Please let us know how it goes and if you need anything else, you know where we are. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs