cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintenance of our boundary wall , we need Virgin cabinet temporary moved.

Ian-Kirk
Joining in

We require to carry out maintenance on our boundary wall and require access . The cabinet is situated on a public pathway in front of our wall but we need access to regroup the brick work . 

How do we go about this . I would assume that it is Virgin Media’s duty to remove the box as they must give access for maintenance of our property

17 REPLIES 17

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You assume wrongly. It would cost thousands to move the box and it would disrupt the service for all their customers connected to it.

If the cabinet is on a public footpath they are entitled to keep it there forever. You'll need to work around it. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM don’t temporarily move cabinets. A permanent move would be the only option, & as VM has permission for the cabinet to be where it is, the cost to move it would fall on you. Moves like this only usually happen on health & safety grounds, and with the associated duct changes & compensation that would have to be paid to customers for disruption to service, you are usually looking at a figure of £10,000+. They will charge you several hundred just to look at it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

So they in fact are stopping essential maintenance to my property .  That cannot be correct . This surely must be a national problem . If so either Virgin or the council who gave them permission to place the box insitu will have responsibility for its temporary movement or removal .  They cannot stop home owners carrying out essential maintenance on their property . 

So they in fact are stopping essential maintenance to my property .  That cannot be correct . This surely must be a national problem . If so either Virgin or the council who gave them permission to place the box insitu will have responsibility for its temporary movement or removal .  They cannot stop home owners carrying out essential maintenance on their property . 

Given the measurements from wall impossible to work around this or I would have done it. Maybe we should cried fund and have a test case . 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

By all means go ahead with the crowd funding, if you can find your. crowd 

The only precedent I'm aware of is when a house owner wants the cabinet removed to allow access for a car to park off road.  In these cases the owner has had to pay, if they could afford it.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Cabinets are located where they are by taking a number of factors into account, and one of them is keeping damage to the cabinets or people (or peoples' belongings) to a minimum. This is why a boundary location is often selected as a cabinet stuck a foot into a footway is just asking for trouble. As advised VM is not going to move the cabinet - let alone remove it - as this cost money and will inconvenience customers.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jpeg1 wrote:

The only precedent I'm aware of is when a house owner wants the cabinet removed to allow access for a car to park off road.  In these cases the owner has had to pay, if they could afford it.

There was a case a few years back, where the owner cried foul that the cabinet allegedly blocked a proposed dropped kerb.

In that case, a 5minute check of Google Street View history showed the cabinet was in situ when said paved-garden was a fully-grown hedge.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

They are sending Engineer to assess . However i have 80 cm between rear of box and my boundary wall . I have raked out a regrouped either sides of this Virgin box . However to repair behind the box requires the box to be removed as any other method would be unsafe . 

As stated I cannot be alone in this situation and either Virgin or those who gave permission cannot stop home owners carrying out essential maintenance in their property