Menu
Dialled in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Made to upgrade from my Superhub 2 to a Superhub 3 - Dreading it

Yesterday I got rung up by someone from Virgin Media and have been made to upgrade my SuperHub 2, which is still working fine or have my bill hiked.

Will I also have to send back the SuperHub 2 when the the new one comes tomorrow,  Thursday?

I tried to say that I was happy with what I have, but the lady on the phone would not accept that and I felt awful when they let me get off the phone.

I asked who the courier would be for this Super Hub 3, but she never answered

Regarding my TiVo box, does it need to be connected to a WiFi to record programmes off the cable? I have a programme set to record between 2&3pm off of the Sony Channel, and don't want to disrupt it on the changeover between routers.

I tried tweeting this, but I suspect VM have put me on ignore.

How bad is it setting this thing up to be usable and to be activated? I have loads of devices including a TiVo box and a wireless printer which will be affected, as well as my works laptop.

Repeat, I did not want this upgrade. I was threatened with higher bills if I did not take it there and then

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Made to upgrade from my Superhub 2 to a Superhub 3 - Dreading it

Hello

You will not have to send back the hub 2 as VM no longer require them back, if you do ahead and activate the hub 3 then the hub 2 will be de-activated and removed from your account.

When you changed hubs you will need to connect all of the devices too the new wireless network that is broadcast by the new hub 3.

Instructions will be supplied of how to activate if not all you need to do is call 0800 953 9500.

Which box do you have is it a

Tivo has an inbuilt modem so no connection needed to hub.

my-vm-virgin-tv-tivo-box.png

or V6 will need either a Ethernet or Wireless connection.

Arris-DCX960-V6-V-Media-Box.jpg

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It is the second, that needs to be connected to the WiFi.

Does it need to be connected to WiFi to record programmes of the cable?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Yes it does it need the network to be able to update the Electronic Program Guide without that you cannot record.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This is so frustrating 

I tried to tell the lady on the phone who cold called me that I was happy with what I had, but I was threatened with bill hikes if I did not comply - Well that is how it came across.

Does anyone know who the courier is for this blasted Super Hub 3, of which I only hear bad things about.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

It is normally Yodel that deliver the replacement hardware from VM you will get a text message from them once they have the hardware.

As long as you do not use the hub 3 you can still stay on the hub 2.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

They said they were upping my speed to M350 Fibre Broadband

Will my Super Hub 2 cope with that, which comes in tomorrow?

Why did they not accept I wanted to stay as I was ass it suited my needs. They even upped my TV package with channels I probably will never use.

I felt that I was threatened with price hikes if I did not comply.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It arrived today and I waited until after a TV programme I was recording between 2pm and 3pm had finished, and then set about the installation.

It was unnerving as previously the Super Hub 2 was installed by an engineer if I recall and was wired to a desktop, which is no more.

Fortunately for me so far it has worked and the installation succeeded and I am back online, and all devices have been trained onto this Super Hub 3

Incidentally, from previous knowledge of the Super Hub 2 and a mini WiFi I have as back up, I knew there was a "web address" you put into the browser to get into the settings, so you can change the name of the router, and set a new password away from the factory default. However that information was not in the set up guide, and it made no mention of it. If we went by the installation guide alone, we would all be using our routers still on factory default settings. Luckily I knew to look on the base of the router for the address and the Router settings password.

So why is this not mentioned in the installation guide? (I may set up a new thread on this, but would the Virgin Media staff see it and respond)

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

192.168.0.1 in Router Mode

192.168.100.1 in Modem Mode

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Installation guide does not mention how to get into the settings for the Super Hub

Today I went from Super Hub 2 to Super Hub 3, (not of my choosing, but that's another story), and by stroke of luck I managed to get it working on my first attempt.

From previous knowledge of the Super Hub 2 and a mini WiFi I have as back up, I knew there was a "web address" you put into the browser to get into the settings, so you can change the name of the router, and set a new password away from the factory default. However that information was not in the installation guide, and it made no mention of it.

If we went by the installation guide alone, we would all be using our routers still on factory default settings, which is not very secure, is it?. Luckily I knew to look on the base of the router for the address and the Router settings password.

So for the first time I connected my main laptop with an Ethernet cable and got into the settings so I could rename my router and give it a password away from the factory default. As also with passwords, something known only unto me and yet easy to type out, unlike the one on factory settings

There are other useful things in the router settings area

So why is this not mentioned in the installation guide?

0 Kudos