Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Low Latency DOCSIS 3.1 (LLD)

Hi

I was just wondering if Virgin Media are applying the Low Latency DOCSIS 3.1 (LLD) specification to their new DOCSIS 3.1 upgrade on the network? Instead of just the normal standard DOCSIS 3.1.

This would be good for people that play games.

I believe its just a simple software upgrade?

Would be great if Virgin Media this this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Low Latency DOCSIS 3.1 (LLD)

I think that VM has enough on its hands in rolling out Gig1 and DOCSIS 3.1. However if competitors start making serious inroads into VM's broadband business with their full fibre offerings I would see VM being incentivised to implement LLD to improve its HFC network.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There's been no mention re UK gigabit rollout.  Looking at the below link I don't think it's actually available yet and would assume it involves paying cablelabs when it is so doubt Liberty Global will be rushing to do it

https://www.cablelabs.com/cablelabs-low-latency-docsis-technology-launches-10g-broadband-into-a-new-... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm with previous respondents, that it won't be on VM's "to do" list anytime soon.  Even if it is only a software upgrade, LLD needs to be in released, fully supported code, tested and verified by the suppliers of all of VM's hardware, and VM need to then verify by fairly lengthy testing that it doesn't break anything, including long-out-of-support legacy cable modems.  Potentially some segments will never see D3.1 (other than through end-of-life asset replacement) if the business case isn't there, and if that were the case LLD isn't going to happen for some people for ten to fifteen years   

Even within the D3.1 footprint, this is a huge amount of effort, and it would be far more practical for VM to simply wait for hardware suppliers to adopt LLD, and then allow it to "trickle down" as hardware and firmware gets refreshed.  Possibly the VM gigabit areas will see LLD soon, but if YOU were managing VM's network, and your backside were on the line when anything went wrong, how much of a hurry would you be in to roll this out? 

The advantage of LLD over a good non-LLD I suspect is actually fairly modest.  Reading Cablelabs' marketing, in practical terms LLD smoothes but probably doesn't eliminate the spiking on a current DOCSIS connection, so your real world benefit would be to narrow the yellow fringe on a BQM from circa up to +15ms to around +3-5ms, but without materially affecting your average latency.  And with human reaction times of around 250ms, that 10ms improvement is a bit thin?  Since internet connection equipment has a customer baseline around and absolute lower limit of 15-19ms, LLD sits firmly in the "nice to have, but not willing to pay for" category.  My suspicion is that we're looking at 2025 at the earliest, although I'll be delighted to be proved wrong.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Reading the pdf white paper if implemented correctly it should resolve the latency I see on my VM 200 connection when streaming 4k via netflix/prime/iplayer, where I hope /assume the router QoS is helping with gaming at the same time.  Iplayer 7 worlds 1 planet example below at about 6.30 showing spike for an hour

However quite a lot of changes appear to be required

"To realize the benefits of LLD, a number of parties need to take action. DOCSIS equipment manufacturers will need to develop and
integrate the LLD features into software updates for CMTSs and CMs. Cable operators need to plan the roll-out of software updates
and configurations to DOCSIS equipment and set up the network to support those services (e.g., carrying DiffServ/ECN markings
through the network). Application and operating system vendors will need to adopt packet marking for NQB traffic and/or adopt the L4S
congestion controller. Each element of the Internet ecosystem will make these decisions independently; the faster that all take the necessary steps, the more quickly the user experience will improve."

bc9e969a8e15795798c4d420fd944700765ea26b-10-11-2019.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

CableLabs is holding interoperability events, where the different vendors can test their equipment against equipment from other vendors. Events targeting LLD has already begun. They expect that operators will begin trials next year.
0 Kudos