Menu
adollarmore
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Lots of Cables, No Virgin Broadband

Hi!

I've just moved into a new flat. There was a letter from Virgin Media saying our flat was already wired for Virgin Broadband. I signed up for the 108mbps package, received my router, and was texted the next day to say my broadband had been activated.

There are several applicable cables in the flat, but none work (the wireless light is green but the power lights keeps flashing; no light for the internet). Here are the cables:

virgincables.jpg

I can't seem to find a Virgin wall box anywhere, although there are some for other providers.

If I have to have an engineer come and install a wall box, I first need to clear this with the letting agency, something I thought I could avoid as Virgin said my flat was already wired for their broadband.

If anyone could help out with further info, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
KielTheLegend
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lots of Cables, No Virgin Broadband

I wouldn't look inside first, I would look outside at the front of building to see if there is a virgin panel service box that come from the concrete about 100mm on the brick wall and situated near the ground. It will say virgin media on it. If you cannot see this then virgin is not installed. If you are on about FTTC that uses DSL like the BT sockets, are there any of those in the house.

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Or you could phone to get the Hub activated.

Hub Activation number on 0800 953 9500 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
paul0363
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The cable with two connectors attached is likely a Sky cable - Virgin don't use "shotgun cable". 

The VM cable will be one of the cables with crimped F connectors so likely the one with the blue band and the thicker cable (although I wouldn't rule the other one out).

As @MikeRobbo said, phone and activate the hub and try again.

Also, depending on when and how the installation was done, there may not be a brown "omnibox" outside.  My parents' connection goes straight to a wall box in the house with no outside wall box (done by Telewest in the 90's).  Most, if not all, more recent installations will have a box on the outside though.

adollarmore
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone - it was indeed the blue cable, and phoning the number suggested was quick, easy, and automated. I’ve now got broadband!

Thanks again!

0 Kudos