After a bit of advice. Last Thursday 22nd, our home lost internet connectivity. Checking on the Virgin Media status checker, it advised that there was a known issue in the area, and the engineer would be dispatched, and they estimated it would be fixed at 15:00.
15:00 - the service checker now advised that there was full service in the area, yet my modem won't detect anything. It continually cycles between flashing green / flashing white for the power indicator, and the wifi and internet symbols just alternate randomly between the colours.
We booked in an engineer that was due to visit today from 12:00 - 16:00. When I woke up this morning, our internet had been restored - and so I duly texted to cancel the engineer, (around 10:00) - as I didn't want to waste their time. However, at 12:00 today, internet went again and exactly the same issue as first time (service checker says down, engineer is on the way - yet the service checker now says it is fixed and we still don't have any service).
Having gone through the 'connection test' about 12 times it finally decided to book an engineer again, with the earliest appointment for the Friday (30th), meaning that it will be nearly 8 days without any internet. Did call to see if this could be moved forward, given how long it has been, but sadly gave up after 40 minutes on hold.
Does anybody have any advice - is there any other tests that I can perform? I am sympathetic as I know these are not normal times, and it was me that cancelled - it's just frustrating that from trying to do the right thing (cancel the engineer so that they could visit someone else) - we're now being left without internet for a whole week.
Other details: - Using superhub 3 - usually in modem mode, combined with a separate router. Reseting hub or switching to router mode has not had impact. - Had rocksteady connection prior to this, so no history of issues, and connection has always been reliable, even during peak times. - We have inherited some slightly odd extension cabling internally in the house from the previous owners, and so I've tried a number of configurations with this, but to no avail. It currently is plugged directly into the wall socket. From previous experience, extensions made little to no difference on the signal strength we got.
Thanks Mike, apologies as think I'd not turned notifications on. Engineer finally visited this morning and identified the issue - turns out there was a problem with the cables from the previous owners that was significantly dropping our signal strength - they've rewired parts of it and appears to have fixed the issue - will keep an eye on it, but thanks for the help.