Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Loss of service - New Malden and surrounding areas

With something like this they shouldn’t really be pretending to know when it will be fixed. I would guess their systems can’t accept “several days maybe? Depends on the damage to each fibre” as an ETA though.

my advice would be ignore the ETAs, a fibre break like this sounds, takes as long as it takes and it’s not quick (as evidenced by the fix estimate right now, at 9am on the 22nd, showing as 9am on the 23rd. It just means “definitely not all finished today”)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Well said....    Sometimes it just isn't possible to say when things will be fixed with any precision.   It's not what people want to hear, but is fact.  Having seen some of the pictures on one of the websites of the damage I am not surprised it's taking a long time.   It looks liek a large earth screw was bein gused to bore a deep hole for foundations and went through a load of fibres, which then twisted round the machine and were ripped up out of the ground, ducts and all.

I am affected and have been down, on a Virgin Media Business service for 3 days so far, yes it's frustrating, but not Virgin Media's fault.     All very well to consider jumping to another ISP as a result - but any other ISP could similarly be affected by an issue like this.  

Around 18 months ago this area was without BT service for about 3 days due to copper cable theft.  

Yes very frustrating when this happens.  I am sure the engineers are working round the clock in shifts to fix it as fast as they can.    And suspect also, as has been said, they cannot be precise about a fix time, but will resolve it as fast as they possibly can.  

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator

51B53AFA-FFEA-43E1-87C7-A63975B7BCF7.jpeg

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Where did you find pics?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 20
Flag for a moderator

https://twitter.com/virginmediacorp/status/1208716152068886529?s=21

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 16 of 20
Flag for a moderator

VM can't just replace the cable in the same place as it is clearly now a building site. It will mean finding an alternative route around the site, getting permissions/wayleaves etc.  Not an easy job. 

Why did the excavators not know about the cables? Were they drilling in the correct place?

Does anyone know exactly where this is? I'll be passing through New Malden on Tuesday

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Now the status page says no known issues for my area (SM4), whereas origianlly it did say ETA tomorrow 9am.  However there is still no service.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 18 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The website now says there are “no known issue” but we still don't have any broadband? Extremely frustrating. The postcode is SW20 9LS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 20
Flag for a moderator

In SM4 the service is now connecting - all 24 downstreams are connected and 4 upstream channels, but downstream SNR is between 26-27 dBmV on all channels and downstream performance is about 0.05 Mb/s on a 500 Mb/s service so definitely not fixed yet.

Status page still says no known issues, as it has since yesterday afternoon - can the VM team please ensure the status pages are accurate please?

Would a poor SNR be expected if they are still working given they have obviously conencted the trunk fibres that serves this area?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 20 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

We’re pleased to say that all residential services in New Malden and surrounding areas have now been restored. Where individual customer issues may still exist we will do everything can to resolve these as quickly as possible.

Fixing this issue, one of the largest fibre breaks that we have seen, has required teams of engineers to work non-stop in terrible weather, splicing thousands of fibres.

We thank you for your patience and understanding and sincerely apologise once again for the disruption caused. Compensation for all customers affected will be applied automatically.

Best,

0 Kudos