Menu
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Loss of service - New Malden and surrounding areas

A third-party has accidentally cut through a fibre optic cable causing a loss of service for residential and business customers in New Malden and surrounding areas including Surbiton, Wimbledon and Kingston.  We are working to repair this fibre break as quickly as possible and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Affected customers can subscribe to updates via our service status page here: https://virg.in/service.

+++Update 2PM - 20/12/19+++

Our teams have been working throughout the night and this morning to repair the significant damage caused to cables in New Malden. We appreciate how frustrating it is to be without our services for this length of time, so we want to explain why it’s not fixed yet.

During construction work carried out by a third party, a significant number of cables were pulled out of the ground at a building site severing thousands of fibres. This has required a team of engineers working flat out to repair each fibre individually – a painstaking job which has seen our engineers work through the night in difficult conditions. We are working on this as a top priority and hope to have services back up and running as quickly as possible.

+++Update 11PM - 21/12/19+++

A third-party accidentally cut through a fibre optic cable causing a loss of service for some customers in New Malden and surrounding areas including Surbiton, Wimbledon and Kingston.  Our engineers have been working flat out day and night in difficult conditions to repair this complex fibre break as quickly as possible. Services are now beginning to be restored but work is still underway. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

We’re sorry once again for the disruption and we’ll update you once services are restored.

+++Update 2PM - 23/12/19+++

We’re pleased to say that all residential services in New Malden and surrounding areas have now been restored. Where individual customer issues may still exist we will do everything can to resolve these as quickly as possible.

Fixing this issue, one of the largest fibre breaks that we have seen, has required teams of engineers to work non-stop in terrible weather, splicing thousands of fibres.

We thank you for your patience and understanding and sincerely apologise once again for the disruption caused. Compensation for all customers affected will be applied automatically.

Best,

+++Update 7PM - 23/12/19+++

We thank you for your patience and understanding and sincerely apologise once again for the disruption caused. Compensation for all customers affected will be applied automatically.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Loss of service - New Malden and surrounding areas

Yes, but when will it be fixed? Service has been down for nearly two whole days and the expected fix date/time keeps slipping. This is an essential service and people cannot be left without internet, especially at the weekend. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

As has been explained, there are a large number of individual fibres requiring re-connection. This is time-consuming.

A few days without a residential service is, in the scheme of things, ........

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Speak for yourself. I don’t care how “intricate” the work is, I want my service back.

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Get a "back up" then (MiFi?).
Also... get candles for when your electricity gets cut off, a camping gas stove for when the gas supply goes off and stock up on bottled water.
These things happen they will be fixing it as fast as possible.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@erichek83 wrote:

Speak for yourself. I don’t care how “intricate” the work is, I want my service back.

And I'm sure Virgin are restoring as quickly as they can.  Or maybe they're delaying the restoration in order to keep customers off-service for longer.

As others have said, if you consider any domestic service *essential* then I presume you have backups to maintain availability at all times.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

A sassy response to a frustrated customer isn't really the way to go 🙂

As an affected customer, I understand that things break sometimes. My problem is with how VM is dealing with the issue.

The estimated fix time keeps getting pushed without reason, so far it's been pushed back three or four times, I lost count. I know things aren't always easy to fix, but if something is taking longer than expected, tell us why; surely the estimated time came from analysis, and something disrupted that analysisIs it the weather? Have they identified additional things they need to do? What is it? We need to know these things so we can plan accordingly. 

We have to report the fault to be eligible for compensation, which just seems like a way to get away with not having to pay compensation for as many customers as possible. If they know my area is affected, they should automatically calculate credit for me. And before you say "some users are affected and some others are not," if they can run a test on my very individual equipment, they can tell if I have service or not 🙂

The lack of information is astonishing, as point one has shown. In addition to that, trying to find more information has proven to be difficult. The support site keeps taking me in circles, the chat option is nowhere to be found, and when I finally decided to call, the bot keeps telling me what I already know, that "there's an issue with your service" and gives an ETA (that's from the status page) and just hangs up. I had to go through other options to talk to a real human, which unfortunately, wasn't very helpful either.

If it were merely the lack of service it wouldn't have been as bad. Plus it's such an unfortunate timing as well; it's the weekend, with many people starting their christmas break.

(Yes, I signed up just to say this)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I’d like to thank the network engineers who are working in the cold/rain to resplice all the fibres. It’s not a fun task even to do one splice in a warm office, let alone dozens/hundreds at the bottom of a muddy hole on a building site!

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

They have explained why it's taking longer, if you actually look at what a Fibre cable looks like underneath it's protective sleeve then you can see it's not as simple as duct taping it and calling it a day.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

They haven't, actually. They just paraphrased the same thing: damaged fibre optics.
And yeah I know how fibre optics work, but that doesn't explain overshooting an eta by over 300 per cent.
I know it's an *estimated* time, but still. Unless they initially thought duct tape was all what was needed.
Also out of curiosity, I'd love to know where this construction site is, and which "third party company" it was.

I appreciate the effort nonetheless.
0 Kudos