Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Loose Vigin Media cables outside house

Hi,

I moved into a new build house in February. Outside the front door, the are two loose cables protruding from the wall. Tied to the cables is a blue rope, the other end of which goes down into an open pipe in the ground. We've been told that these cables are for Virgin Media, which we don't have and don't want. It's quite an eye sore - image attached.

We've been told by the developers that we should contact Virgin Media to get these cables boxed off. However, since we don't have a Virgin Media account, getting anybody to take an interest has been something of a challenge.

Can somebody please tell us who we should contact about this?

Thanks!

DSC_0019.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Loose Vigin Media cables outside house

The developer will have installed the cables to the VM specification. It is the developers responsibility to get the job completed properly.

Have you still got an open snagging list on the property?

VM won't do anything about this since they have not been involved in any installation.

Out of interest, where do the white cables go inside the property? Are the entry points in the brickwork properly sealed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply!

We put the loose cables on the snagging list, but were told in no uncertain terms that they were the responsibility of Virgin Media. They said that we should contact them to get them boxed off. I can see their point - via the pipe, we appear to have an open access point to the Virgin cable which runs along the street. If somebody was to start pulling at the rope, I wonder what damage it would do to the local infrastructure?

The other end of the cables is not visible. I assume that they terminate in the box in the cupboard under the stairs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you are getting nowhere fast a temporary solution would be to untie the rope, tie it to a brick and bury it beside the pipe. Then put the end of the white cable into the pipe as well. All that will be visible will be the white cable into the pipe. That might suffice until you get it sorted? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes, we'll probably have to do something like this. The thing is, I have no idea how to get this sorted. Virgin don't seem particularly interested in helping anybody who doesn't already have an account.

I was hoping that a moderator might see this and be able to point me in the right direction?

0 Kudos